Indian Rock North Ga

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some may be interested in seeing this rock we have locally. It has a bowl on the top of it and a groove running off the side. It is in a very isolated area where two creeks come together.

IMG_3437.JPG IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3442 2.jpg

Upvote 0

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some may be interested in seeing this rock we have locally. It has a bowl on the top of it and a groove running off the side. It is in a very isolated area where two creeks come together.
View attachment 1319178 View attachment 1319179 View attachment 1319181

Oh my gosh, that isn't in North Fulton County is it? I just saw a picture of a rock strangely similar in a book by Eugene Croy called Silent Wings. Anyway in the book it is claimed that the N. Fulton county stone originally on the Day property was a sacrifice stone used by ancient peoples for human sacrifice to bring the Buffalo back to the land. I found that rather odd since one, I honestly didn't think Buffalo inhabited Georgia but studies show they did inhabit the American Grasslands to the Atlantic Seaboard a very long time ago. Two, not too many Native American cultures in North America practiced human sacrifice as Mother Earth didn't require it, but I'm sure there were some perhaps Cahokia. Anyway the stone is supposed to resemble a Buffalo with head down charging at you.

OP
OP
E

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very interesting! This one is in Elbert County Ga. The only way to get to it is to hike through several private properties, so it's not that well known.
The book by Eugene Croy sounds interesting! I looked it up online but didn't see a digital copy available, or else I would read it.

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attached are the pics from the book I was referring too, Eugene Croy, Silent Wings (old book, old b/w photos) it's not the same rock but maybe similar?

buffalo rock 3.jpg buffalo rock 4.jpg buffalo rock 1.jpg Buffalo rock 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Essex

May 23, 2016
North East Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, yeah, they do look similar. That is so creepy that they used it as a sacrifice altar. Thanks for getting me those!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a large rock which stands behind a car lot here in town must be 20 ft tall. It has a fence around it so nobody can climb on it I bet it was an alter to by the flat top but its very hard to see from the road. Id like to get around it to see but its all private land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread