Paleo point base or no?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in the Philly PA area... is this a base to a paleo point of some kind? I guess it's nearly impossible to ID an incomplete point, but a base can be better than just a tip as for as ID'ing something goes I would think. The penny is deceiving in my opinion because it makes it look small, but it's bigger in width than any other point I've found (such as all the madison / levanna points I find.) I know some did find a paleo point at this location, so it wouldn't be out of the question... what do you guys think?

image_14781.jpg

Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really enough of it left to tell for sure, looks like it hard a really hard life!

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell if it's ground due to the condition. It's not sharp, but it's not super smooth or rounded either. It's been suggested possibly paleo or transitional.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, tough for sure. We are having our local artifact show coming up next month. It will be in Schnecksville Pa... Maybe you can stop by and check some stuff out and inquire about some things that you have found! I'll be there with my friend Rich doing flint knapping demonstrations....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Like the Vera Cruz jasper. I'd say it's not Paleo from the photo but I'm far from definitive. Nice find.

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the Vera Cruz jasper. I'd say it's not Paleo from the photo but I'm far from definitive. Nice find.

It's a tough call and I'm surely no expert! Personally, I don't think it is Paleo, but maybe transitional period... but it can very well be Woodland even. This is a multicomponent site. Is Vera Cruz jasper quarry part of the Hardyston formation? Most, if not all, of the jasper at this site is from the Hardyston formation.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Is Vera Cruz jasper quarry part of the Hardyston formation? Most, if not all, of the jasper at this site is from the Hardyston formation.
That I don't know. I know there's an ancient quarry that is a city park up in Macungie where that material was sourced (one source) and in that area it's referred to as Vera Cruz. No idea why or how it relates geologically.

Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread