My smallest point ever...

GarbageCollector

Feb 23, 2016
Southwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my smallest point today. Pure luck that I spotted it!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So tiny, I always wonder how something was even made that small holding it in your hand!

OP
OP
G

GarbageCollector

Feb 23, 2016
Southwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish my photography skills allowed me to show how fine the serrations are on the edges. Would be a real beauty if not for the broken "ear". I can only assume it's a bird point, but it seems small even for that. I think the Creeks used rivercane blowguns but I don't know if the darts had projectile points.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little point. True arrowhead. I was wondering about that little white piece up top in your last post.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish my photography skills allowed me to show how fine the serrations are on the edges. Would be a real beauty if not for the broken "ear". I can only assume it's a bird point, but it seems small even for that. I think the Creeks used rivercane blowguns but I don't know if the darts had projectile points.

Considering that Point type is thousands of years before the Creek Indians I doubt they used it. It looks like a very small Dalton Point in that first picture. That would make it about 9500 BC.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I think this is the smallest I ever found. It was laying on top of some sandy ground. It may have been longer once I'm thinking and they redid it to a blunter point, but maybe not??.

Attachments

• small arrowhead.jpg
    small arrowhead.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of those here in Texas. Folks call them "Bird Points". Don't know? Was with a girlfriend that found one at Long's Fish and Dig on the Llano River. No damage on hers, at least for a couple of minutes. Ugly story...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering that Point type is thousands of years before the Creek Indians I doubt they used it. It looks like a very small Dalton Point in that first picture. That would make it about 9500 BC.

Grim
You thinking Dalton due to the ears?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of those here in Texas. Folks call them "Bird Points". Don't know? Was with a girlfriend that found one at Long's Fish and Dig on the Llano River. No damage on hers, at least for a couple of minutes. Ugly story...
I lived in Texas for a time, A. When I was there I often heard "Don't Ya Know everything's BIG in Texas" Most the time I herd it, was from some fella tell'n a gal from out a state in a bar I would hear line I recall. If true, how's come you have so many tiny arrowheads :icon_scratch:

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
small.jpg
My smallest, I had the feeling that there had been a little bit of laughter in camp when this was made.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small points like this where used on cane shaft or reeds, to get small game. Most blow gun dart's were thorns or things that could be made sharp and light at the same time. So many think that these points were used in a arrow and bow system, when the bow and arrow was not around at that time. All along the state's of the gulf coast they used gar scales and string ray barbs. That small of a Dalton is a very good find 🎯

OP
OP
G

GarbageCollector

Feb 23, 2016
Southwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely need to get my eyes checked out before I start hunting points this small. I always try to check out every flake and piece I spot, but in some areas on our farm there are a half dozen flakes per square yard.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the smallest one I have ever found. Found it on top of a gopher hole after a good rain.

Attachments

• SDC10567.JPG
    SDC10567.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 69

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely need to get my eyes checked out before I start hunting points this small. I always try to check out every flake and piece I spot, but in some areas on our farm there are a half dozen flakes per square yard.

I have a spot that I have to get down on my hands and knees to look for points because you can't spot them standing.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the smallest one I have ever found. Found it on top of a gopher hole after a good rain.

Don't suppose you would share a source for that acrylic box?

~Tejaas~

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't suppose you would share a source for that acrylic box?

~Tejaas~

I was on a trip to florida and bought something from a shop and the box came with the item. Think its a box for jewelry dont know where it came from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread