PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dalton/Clovis 'Tweener from Kentucky

Hello everybody! So, as the title has it, it was a 'tweener at first. Initially, when I first spotted it in the field, I was thinking a broken something-or-other... Then I pulled it, and layed it down right there, because I thought initially, that it was a Clovis! I called over to my friend Rich and he came over to inspect it. From the caked on dirt, it was tough to call it really but as I pulled it back out of the dirt and wiped it, I have to think it is a little later, like a Dalton. If the flutes were stronger, and the serrations not as bold and the itty bitty shoulders not there, then I'd stick with it being Clovis, but either way, I'm happy with it!!
I've put a lot of miles in driving and walking to come up with this one and it's a first for me of this kind (whichever is really is...) And I think it is absolutely stunning. Nice material too. Here's a picture I took from when I first pulled it out, thinking Clovis. See what I mean, by being tough to call...?

Attachments

• 1465779903668.jpg
    1465779903668.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then here is the point after I wiped it... Both sides. Hope you all enjoy the pictures and please reply with your thoughts and comments on it! That's a part of this hobby that I enjoy... Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• 1465780026874.jpg
    1465780026874.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1465780044129.jpg
    1465780044129.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 116

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice color but Im not good at the types outside of my area. Pretty one thats for sure

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice point,im not sure but the flaking does not look like clovis,the color wants me to say candy creek,but im not very good at it,nice point no matter what

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice point,im not sure but the flaking does not look like clovis,the color wants me to say candy creek,but im not very good at it,nice point no matter what

Exactly... But that initial outline in the dirt! That's what I was trying to say about it looking like one, until I wiped it free from the dirt... Definitely a Dalton type. Which I am very very happy to find!!
Material, I'd just say a Hornstone. What is candy creek? Related to Hornstone? Thanks for the replies

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I didn't find it in here in Pa... It was in Kentucky. And a quad was considered by me and the others at the Elizabethtown artifact show, but with the serrations and the slightest shoulders dropped it into a Dalton. There is a type called a (excuse my spelling on this one) knuckols, so it could be that type I suppose.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry PaDirtDigger,candy creek is a point,im more than likely not even close on the id,nuckolls is supposed to be a greenbrier that has been resharpened.wish the base was more defined,almost looks like one that was re-chipped by later indians.anyway it is a nice little point

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe look at wheeler too there are some in my book that look like yours

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is definitely variations in all types. We have a type here, called Perkiomen, and it varies quite a bit actually... But it's mostly due to the way it was resharpened...
Love the feedback and ideas from others!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find regardless of type!

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad some people are enjoying my finds through pictures... It's my best way to get to share with others that have the same interests... :D:cool::thumbup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread