Navajo ring

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this silver ring a few weeks back, I could tell it was old and suspected it may be Native American. I contacted the local Museum of Native American History and in no time at all they confirmed it to be early 20th century Navajo silver. Unfortunately the makers mark is worn off (if it ever had one) so it would be hard to ID the artisan.

tmp_15549-20160614_113719-1380562811.jpg
tmp_15549-20160614_113620900752297.jpg

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Been awile but here goes. I think the ring was made in about the 1920 time period and it was made by a group of people who were training to be silversmiths. The stone(maybe Bisbee Turquoise) isn't set very well and is certainly not the best available. I forget what the name of the group was and am too old and lazy to look it up, but it's online somewhere. The soldering isn't very good either, but the top of the ring looks great. There would probably never have been a maker's mark there, but who knows. The ring has been worn and some sort of mark could have been worn away. Saying all this, it's worth several hundred dollars because of it's place in history. The Navajos began making jewelry in the 1870's- 1880's and by the early 1900's they were hitting their stride. A collector or someone that knows Native American jewelry would love to have this ring. I'm surprised the museum didn't want it, but at least they got the time frame right. Congratulations...

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find!!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saying all this, it's worth several hundred dollars because of it's place in history. The Navajos began making jewelry in the 1870's- 1880's and by the early 1900's they were hitting their stride. A collector or someone that knows Native American jewelry would love to have this ring. I'm surprised the museum didn't want it, but at least they got the time frame right. Congratulations...

I haven't actually had the chance to take it to the museum in person, I just sent them a bunch of pictures. They did ask me to bring it by and I'm going to try to get authentication papers, then I need to find that collector that you speak of.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Interesting since it looks to be just a common silver and turquiose ring to me. I have found many over the years.

It's always fun to find one, however, and good luck with authentication and finding that collector!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally got time to run it by the museum, luckily the curator was available. Again he confirmed it's early 20th century Navajo, but since it's so heavily worn and lacks any hallmarks, that's all he could say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread