Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was chatting with a farmer last weekend about access to a creek and was kicking at some flint with my boots as we talked . I saw this and figured it was just a reduction flake. Kicked it several times and it came loose and felt the ripples on the edge with my finger. Stuck it in my pocket and forgot about it.Anyways upon further inspection is was a utilized reduction flake. They worked one edge used the tool for its purpose probably to cut something then threw it away. The cool thing about these kinda tools are they made them in the earliest times and also made them up until the end. I like collecting the tools that show the work and was glad I did not pass this one up. No value in these but still an important artifact that is easily missed. Sometimes you find these large flakes in water hunts but they can look worked from river tumble against rocks. This is just worked on the one side so man did it and make it a true unifaced tool.
Happy Hunting and feel free to share any unifaced tools ( not thumb scrapers) you may have come across.

P6220349.JPG

In the hand

P6220346.JPG

No work visible Uniface

P6220345.JPG

Outside of reduction flake

P6220347.JPG

Closer look reveals worked edge on just one side

P6220348.JPG

cool material

Upvote 0

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and wanted to welcome you to the forum! I have the coolest little camera with a lot of microscope modes and am trying to learn. I was hoping to capture that the flaking was all removed from just one side or maybe all in the same direction.

I went in the other direction. I bought a microscope that has a camera. I've seen where some points were used exclusively on soft materials like leather but most were used for hard surfaces.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful find!
HH
dts

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flake knifes are one of the easiest artifacts to over look. This one I picked up just because I liked the color of the flake and when I got home I noticed the edge work. I was finding some good stuff that day and had this on the brain. on the brain.jpg Sometimes we have to keep our minds and eyes open so we can find other artifacts other than points. flake knife 001.JPG flake knife 002.JPG

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are killing it. I like seeing that big flaking !

IMG_4244.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4244.JPG
    IMG_4244.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 77

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are two little utilized flake tools I picked up Wednesday. I did not realize the red jasper piece was worked on one side until I got home and rinsed it off, just kept it because I did not want to take a chance of having to bend over and pick it up again in the years to come. lol
utilized flake tools 1.JPG unworked sides.JPG

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Yep, don't ignore those flakes. Natives seemed to like colorful jasper a lot. Understandable. Nice...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have some flake tools. Here is some I have found. The white one is quartz and a archy told me it was some type of hand axe maybe for digging roots with.

Attachments

• SDC10294.JPG
    SDC10294.JPG
    955.4 KB · Views: 74
  • SDC10295.JPG
    SDC10295.JPG
    850.3 KB · Views: 69
  • SDC10296.JPG
    SDC10296.JPG
    779.9 KB · Views: 76
  • SDC10832.JPG
    SDC10832.JPG