Bone tools? UPDATED

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
I was going to wait awhile to post anything, after the last beating, but I guess I'm a sucker for punishment. I believe these could be bone pestles. Feel free to tell me I'm whacked, if you don't think so, cuz really, I'm use to it. ;)

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bone tools?

bean man said:
I was going to wait awhile to post anything, after the last beating, but I guess I'm a sucker for punishment. I believe these could be bone pestles. Feel free to tell me I'm whacked, if you don't think so, cuz really, I'm use to it. ;)

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Hey Bean, Like an old friend used to say.........
" Lay it on me, I've got broad shoulders ", I don't know about
them being (bone pestles), I've never found one that I know
of, but it looks entirely possible, they look to be partly fossilized.
Don't get discouraged, & keep on looking.

HH, Fossis.........

OP
OP
bean man

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Thanks fossis, that really means a lot to me coming from you, for I recognize knowledgable outdoorsmen. I really enjoy your posts and am glad your on T-net.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

I don't think they are pestles, bone doesn't hold up very well for that sort of thing- I would be interested as they get as to what they came from though....they do look "old" for sure...hmm in the first picture the one on the right looks like a white tailed deer's "foot" bone that goes down into the hoof but I can't tell the size for sure. Interesting, keep looking- these are better than some of the rocks you've posted! :D :D sorry, couldn't resist.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK I will make you feel very smart. What is a pestles? I think I am among friends to ask this question?
Burdie

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Hi Burdie,
A pestle is a hand tool for crushing thing in a mortar (a cup), like pills or nuts. Doubt they had pills, but nuts and dried berries and such would be somethings they could have crushed.

You're always among friends. ;) ;D -Noodle

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Noodle,I'm not bad.I could have said that there may have been those kind that just had 'berries'.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bean man said:
Thanks fossis, that really means a lot to me coming from you, for I recognize knowledgable outdoorsmen. I really enjoy your posts and am glad your on T-net.

Thanks Bean, glad you're here too,

Fossis................

OP
OP
bean man

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
The larger piece up above, was actually found by a good friend when we were hunting together. He gave it to me because like a lot of you folks, he thinks I have an active imagination. Well, today he calls and says he has some more bone pieces for me. I think he forgot what the first one looked like, because we were both surprised how much they look alike.

P1010065.jpg

P1010063.jpg

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon Beanman,

Not too sure about bone pestles. I know they are not something I have ever run across here. Stone worked so much better and was more durable. Bone tools are normally in the form of antler scrapers and flaking tools...bone knives and such. Have seen bone fish hooks, bone needles and awls, though rare and a bone celt. As I live in Louisiana where it stays wet most of the time and the soil is acid bone doesnt hold up too well, though sometimes I am surprised. I find a lot of broken bones...shell and turtle hulls here.

In the photo there an antler tip tool....some jawbone "corn shellers" and a couple of bones crushed to remove the marrow, also some pottery. That all came from a small midden I dug once...that and a few shells.

HH,

Atlantis

Attachments

• midden1 001.jpg
    midden1 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 346
  • midden2.jpg
    midden2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 344
  • midden1 001.jpg
    midden1 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 325
  • midden2.jpg
    midden2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 325
Sep 4, 2007
The bone pieces are very unusual looking,(wear conditions) there is not much info on bone pestles, a lot of bone tools and oninaments were made and points etc.., most known pestles were made of Sandstones,Limestone, granites etc.. and went to more of a point or bell shape, if the bone is petrified or old enough they may have been used in some way. maybe a big hand flaking tool ?, or there is a very small topic calling pestles phallic emblems (Dr. Hudson (1890's) "Ancient Sex Worship" This is the only other subject on pestles and phallic tools and there posible use. Keep on Searching!! You must be in a very old river valley area for that kind of find! Interesting anyhow! LBT.
bean man said:

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg
bean man said:
The larger piece up above, was actually found by a good friend when we were hunting together. He gave it to me because like a lot of you folks, he thinks I have an active imagination. Well, today he calls and says he has some more bone pieces for me. I think he forgot what the first one looked like, because we were both surprised how much they look alike.

P1010065.jpg

P1010063.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread