Question about Identification methods

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This question goes out to anyone else who hunts for artifacts in rivers or dry creek beds.

How do you tell the difference between a worked peice of stone and ordinary river tumble?
Sometimes a creek chips up a rock as it flows down stream, especially in flash flood areas. So what's the trick to proper identification?

I welcome any feedback! 👍

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
A rock tossed about in a flooded creek doesn't remotely look like a rock that's been manipulated by man. Experience is the key to knowing the difference.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by reading as many previous posts in this forum as you can stand. Look closely at the pictures and you will learn what to look for.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nuff said in the two posts above me. Good luck. I always found more on the banks of creeks than in them...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Up this holler where once was a pretty peaceful little valley, the last two years have been horrendous with the flooding. Bridge washed out 4 times last year, and only once so far this year - night before last. More toting rocks. These are pretty historic floods here, that Bob White covered bridge near Woolwine, a hundred years old washed away.

What I'm getting to is with these heavily washed creeks here, is there anything I should be out on the banks looking for?

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A rock tossed about in a flooded creek doesn't remotely look like a rock that's been manipulated by man. Experience is the key to knowing the difference.

Well that's just the thing. I'm not gonna call anyone out on this forum but I've seen many posts on here with "artifacts" that make me skeptical. Sure, an arrowhead is usually easily distinguishable but when it comes to things like flake knives or scrapers, that's where it can get hard to tell.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find something that you think might be a relic, post a picture on here. You will get replies, good or bad. Respect the replies and keep hunting. You don't find what you don't look for.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
something else that is mostly true too....when you find the real deal, there is no question in your mind...it is obvious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread