Small axe or something??

Momof3

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Campbell ky
Detector(s) used
The trash finding kind!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya guys! Have had this one for a while but am at a dead end with trying to look it up on my own! Also.. I'm curious about celts. Are they always going to be a polished looking stone even when dug from this very unforgiving Kenesee (mixture of Kentuckey and Tennessee!) mineralized from hell dirt!! As always TIA!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
To me, it just seems like a rock, mostly due to the material, which doesn't appear easily workable? e.g. not flint or other material that will flake easily. Due to the size, if it was really a tool, I would guess it would be a scraper (for taking meat off of a hide). You can see examples of scrapers here: https://www.google.com/search?espv=...1.64.img..0.23.1299...0i30j0i5i30.fMFWEZvzHNQ

All of the celts in our collection held up well in heavy iron red clay without staining.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well, they may not have a polish like your shoes at Sunday services, but they should have a certain "smoothness" to them. Depending on the material however, I have a quartzite one that is very rough and un-lovely.

OP
OP
M

Momof3

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Campbell ky
Detector(s) used
The trash finding kind!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png for instant this specimen doesn't look like any of the celts that I see in here and googled!?!

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
View attachment 1338644 for instant this specimen doesn't look like any of the celts that I see in here and googled!?!

Yeah, thats a rough one. I would have thought that was just a rock too, except there is one picture in the auction that shows and edge that "probably" has been worked.

One side of your object, the one with cracks, appears to show that the rock is sandstone or churt? Hmmm, I'm mostly used to seeing harder rocks used in Northern Alabama and Tennessee. I know that sandstone is sometimes used, but I'm not sure about this general area of the country??? Apologies if I've got your rock's composition wrong.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions