rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have learned the difference of a frog splash and a snake splash. The frog is a deep splash and a snake is a slide and plop. I always let them go 1st then I go 2nd.

OP
OP
M

Momof3

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Campbell ky
Detector(s) used
The trash finding kind!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have learned the difference of a frog splash and a snake splash. The frog is a deep splash and a snake is a slide and plop. I always let them go 1st then I go 2nd.

I was (trying) to climb a steep creek bank one day so I didn't have to go all the way back down to where it was easier to get in/out and I reached up to grab a tree root and got a whole lot of slide and plop when the thing rolled off the top right beside me and plopped in the water. Since then I have tried to be more observant but still a hot mess!!

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wear hip waders. Also I always shake or knock over hanging tree limbs (where snakes are fond of lying and sunning, then dropping into the water when startled) before going under them. Also I go very slow. Don't often see snakes, but have seen very large snapping turtles. Be careful!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear snake boots an carry a 5ft pole along with a 22 with rat shot. I go real slow so I can spot anything that may be an artifact and as it was said look in over head brush, tall weeds and log jams. We have 3 types of moccasin snake along with rattle snakes and a ton of just water snakes. I'm a old country boy so I can spot a bad one with the first look. Just go slow and look real good, because most snakes don't want to bite you unless they feel they need to defend themselves. Some are just bad and if you get in their space( like a cotton mouth) they will come at you. I trust my snake boots and my eyes but I still have had them slide across my boot. Also I have walked right up on one on a rock bar with my head down looking at rocks. You just need to do a 360deg. look around and go slow, because it's not how far you walk ,but how good you covered the ground that you walked. Good luck an be safe:thumbsup:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
where i live there are no poisonous snakes but even so when i spot one they still make me jump.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most dangerous and unpredictable animal out there is the human being. Most of the others will try and avoid you. Only time I get a little nervous is during pot grow season and hunting season. I've walked up in a couple pot fields before and There is alway going to be some stupid with a gun that is trigger happy.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most dangerous and unpredictable animal out there is the human being. Most of the others will try and avoid you. Only time I get a little nervous is during pot grow season and hunting season. I've walked up in a couple pot fields before and There is alway going to be some stupid with a gun that is trigger happy.

Ive ran into some strange people this year already. Not sure what they were doing but I have tried to act like I didnt see them and hurried on my way. It must work cause Im typing this rite now :)
The other day I was walking a gravel bar and not looking where I was going all of a sudden I heard what sounded like a growl and I froze. I looked up and I was heading towards a big tree on the bank with the roots exposed and tunnels going under it. Still dont know what type of animal it was but I just backed up and went around. I have yet to see a bad snake by the way but I do wear snake boots in and out of the water and carry a long beaver stick for walking, support and snake flipper.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the worst i ever run into are black bears, seen them more times than I can count actually, but every time they take off running like a scalded cat, which is fine by me...man-o-man they are FAST!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the worst i ever run into are black bears, seen them more times than I can count actually, but every time they take off running like a scalded cat, which is fine by me...man-o-man they are FAST!

I hope not to see any of them.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few encounters with them in my creek hunting trips and like said in the other posts they go away from me fast and I wait for them to leave and continue looking. Wildlife says there are no cottonmouths in our area but the red banded water snake is a close look alike and since I am originally from Georgia I have a natural respect and fear of them lol. I live near the foot of some mountains and they say there are rattlesnakes around but I haven't seen one yet, there are copperheads but I've only run up on 1 on my land in 20 yrs. That being said, I don't wear snake boots because there aren't any real large ones that can bite thru regular rubber boots so I wear cheap rubber boots from Walmart most times. I always carry a garden rake for raking sand bars but it makes a great redirection tool for snakes that are headed my way and they can be flipped or held down, whichever needs to be done. Mainly just walk slow and keep watch on limbs hanging over the water and where you put your hands. Copperheads tend to get still when they feel movement and that makes it easy to get bit by them since they blend in so well. Good luck and watch out, awareness is the key :wink:

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk up on a momma with 3 cubs like I did. She isn't running off, she is coming to you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to everything else....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread