Turtle shell breast plate???? Need help

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in the ground, in a very productive area. It is a turtle shell that appears to be worked on. Note the two drill holes on the top. Is this a legit artifact? Anyone ever found anything similar? It looks like what I would imagine a breast plate to be. image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
give us close ups of the holes

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 4" by 4", trying to load close up pictures of the holes, but having trouble for some reason.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those holes don't look drilled to me. I think what you have is one of the sections of this type of Turtle and that is where the plates hook together with tendons.

Attachments

• Painted_Turtle's_Plastron_%22belly_shell%22.jpg
    Painted_Turtle's_Plastron_%22belly_shell%22.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 241

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Carapace appears cut.
The upper and lower "shells" are held together in a manner that short of smashing ,usually stay together. With age and exposure ,the plates separate on the top/ back.
The o.p is a half of a belly plate,different in that they ,depending on specie ,are softer when live.
The cut area separating the upper and lower is where we used to separate shells on snappers.
Holes i've not seen like those.
Only my opinion but the piece in original post looks worked to me.
Turtle was a popular clan, part of some mythologies,..as well as meal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carapace appears cut.
The upper and lower "shells" are held together in a manner that short of smashing ,usually stay together. With age and exposure ,the plates separate on the top/ back.
The o.p is a half of a belly plate,different in that they ,depending on specie ,are softer when live.
The cut area separating the upper and lower is where we used to separate shells on snappers.
Holes i've not seen like those.
Only my opinion but the piece in original post looks worked to me.
Turtle was a popular clan, part of some mythologies,..as well as meal.

Thank you so much for the feedback. The holes really looked hand drilled. I am not sure that an animal would do such a thing so symmetrical. I assumed it was man made, just unsure how old it is.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the feedback. The holes really looked hand drilled. I am not sure that an animal would do such a thing so symmetrical. I assumed it was man made, just unsure how old it is.

I cant say either way but you need to read everybodys responses and accept each one. Nothing against CHAIR but I noticed just as soon as somebody said yes or maybe the OP jumped rite in and excepted it as fact. I can enlarge the pics enough to see the holes dont look drilled to me they look to jagged if they were drilled they would be smooth. I need to know the state and we need to see front and back photos.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call it a gorget, something like this. The holes don't have to be drilled, they could be punched.

Attachments

• NA.jpg
    NA.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant say either way but you need to read everybodys responses and accept each one. Nothing against CHAIR but I noticed just as soon as somebody said yes or maybe the OP jumped rite in and excepted it as fact. I can enlarge the pics enough to see the holes dont look drilled to me they look to jagged if they were drilled they would be smooth. I need to know the state and we need to see front and back photos.

Thanks to every one who took the time to help me figure out what this turtle shell is. I appreciate all ideas. The shell was found in south east Georgia, in the ground in a very productive area. My thoughts are that if not man made maybe an animal chewed it up? I have attached the requested closer pictures. Thanks again! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...they also look well chewed by a rodent...

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...they also look well chewed by a rodent...

Yea I thought that might be a possibility that animal like a rodent was responsible for the marks all around the sides. The thing I could explain where the placement of the holes on the top of the shell. If it is just a rat chewed turtle shell my girlfriend will be happy, she hates the thing, it creeps her out...lol. Still not sure if I should pitch it or what.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see there is a lot of rodent chew marks all over the shell and a lot around the holes. If this was once a drilled item, then the rodents have done it in. You might want to talk with a fossil hunter in your area, they could tell you how long bone will last in the ground and that alone my give you your answer.

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see there is a lot of rodent chew marks all over the shell and a lot around the holes. If this was once a drilled item, then the rodents have done it in. You might want to talk with a fossil hunter in your area, they could tell you how long bone will last in the ground and that alone my give you your answer.

Thanks for walking me through that one guys. Much appreciated. As if there was not enough reasons already to hate squirrels. 😡

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Is it common for rodents to chew the same amount all along a turtle shells edge? Think it did this before or after it made those well placed holes? At least u didn't say plow marks mac...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
because they aren't plow marks...and yes they would chew the edges as that is a more convenient place to chew as opposed to the top. Plus, they are long vertical marks and not more broad lateral ones which is what you would expect were the item worked by the hand of man.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Bone or Antler that isn't picked up quickly will be chewed on by rodents. I have a Ft Ancient site that is on a wooded hill side and I have found lots of pieces with chew marks just like those.

I have seen Drilled Turtle Shell Gorgets before and they all look just like this one. You can see that this was obviously drilled and you can see the high polish all over it.

Attachments

• 8734909_2_l.jpg
    8734909_2_l.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 111

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
I saw that one on Google too, but they never made two things identical. I'd keep it. Just store it away if it gives ur gf the creeps.

cterry3100

Feb 27, 2016
Central, Ms
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents, and believe me, that's the total worth. The placement of those holes appear extremely symmetric. Not very common in nature unless there is a structural reason in the shell itself. Mice have done a number on it. I would display it and let those that see it make up their own mind. As for me, a great find. Great item to take to an artifact show for opinions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions