Knives

cterry3100

Feb 27, 2016
Central, Ms
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite knives. The top two are north Louisiana finds the bottom two are northeast Alabama finds. The one on top, I believe would have been a great tool for removing fish scales when secured to a haft. It was found at what I believe to have been a seasonal camp site. During late winter and early spring the site is under about 6 to 10 feet of water where a creek runs into a deep slough. As the water falls out in spring, the spot is full of fish. Especially where the water flows over a beaver dam as it settles back into it's banks. I don't see why the dynamics would not have been any different in ancient times. I enjoy finding artifacts, but I also enjoy figuring out why a site is located where it is, and visualizing what the environment was like at two time of use.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469542168.424831.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469542168.424831.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had tools for all kinds of jobs even making cordage.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen knives like that befor.Thanks for shareing.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call those cutters. I call knives pieces that are attached to handles. I guess hand knife would be appropriate.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call those cutters. I call knives pieces that are attached to handles. I guess hand knife would be appropriate.

All of those have bases that were more than likely hafted into a Bone or Wooden Handle. Those are nice examples of Tools made to get the job done.

OP
OP
cterry3100

cterry3100

Feb 27, 2016
Central, Ms
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I use the term knives loosely for what I believe to be some kind of cutting tool. My speculation of the top one being used as a tool for scaling fish is just that, speculation. However, having spent much of my youth scaling bream I can see that if securely hafted it would work great for that job. That along with the site at which it was found would make a pretty good case for that assumption. The other three were definitely designed for different and possibly very specific uses. I would love to hear other ideas as to their possible uses. The bottom grey one is in my opinion shaped more like a generic knife. I think it too would have been hafted. It would have been great for spreading mayonnaise. I've also attached a photo of what seems to be another type of cutting tool. They are distinctly angled points that I believe would have poorly performed as projectiles. If anyone knows a typology for them or use, please reply. They are north Louisiana finds.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469675692.486766.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469675692.486766.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody really knows if they scaled fish or not but if I was going to throw my fish in the fire I would just gut it and leave the skin and scales on so the meat wouldnt burn. Same as cooking Salmon flesh side down 1st then scale side down till its done and looks crispy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread