rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this was the 3rd hard rain we have had this week. Ruined my plans for the creeks so I went to the field. Muddy there to couldnt walk much due to the crops so I walked the edge on a couple fields. 3 years ago when I first started hunting these fields my main job for permission was to carry all of the big rocks off the field for the owner. I now go to where the big rocks are and look to see if any are tools or have been worked. Found a big spall which shows some edge work (very little) but is still a nice example of the material. I picked up so many pieces of flint but most were broken. I did however find some scrapers, a small piece of granite what it is idk but was in a campsite, a modern 12 gauge leather strap for what idk and a Mini Ball. Wasnt out there for very long either. Got hot so I left. HH, rock

Attachments

• SDC11620.JPG
    SDC11620.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this was the 3rd hard rain we have had this week. Ruined my plans for the creeks so I went to the field. Muddy there to couldnt walk much due to the crops so I walked the edge on a couple fields. 3 years ago when I first started hunting these fields my main job for permission was to carry all of the big rocks off the field for the owner. I now go to where the big rocks are and look to see if any are tools or have been worked. Found a big spall which shows some edge work (very little) but is still a nice example of the material. I picked up so many pieces of flint but most were broken. I did however find some scrapers, a small piece of granite what it is idk but was in a campsite, a modern 12 gauge leather strap for what idk and a Mini Ball. Wasnt out there for very long either. Got hot so I left. HH, rock

Nice. I too have found what appears to be shaped granite pieces. I thought that granite was not used that much in that fashion but I kept every one of them I found.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds,but what is a spall?I have never heard of them and what were they used for?Thanks for any info.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds rock,is that a Confederate three ringer

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I too have found what appears to be shaped granite pieces. I thought that granite was not used that much in that fashion but I kept every one of them I found.

I have more than 1 and I think they were used as a flaking tool like a tiny hammer stone for fine use.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds,but what is a spall?I have never heard of them and what were they used for?Thanks for any info.

A Spall is like a Core and both if large enough can be used as a chopping tool if it shows edge work on them. This one has a small amount of edge work. Looked better dirty the work showed up more.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds rock,is that a Confederate three ringer

I was hoping somebody might know I will probably put it in a different page of the forum to find out. I have found them before but most have the mushroom head. This one is strange cause its flat on each end. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread