rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont think Savannah River on it. Stem is to short as far as I know. Its a beauty

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When asking for an ID the state and what part (north, south, east, west) would help more than you know. Looks woodland but type :dontknow:

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This what I found in overstreet but I have no knowledge when it comes to naming points.
My dilemma: I found this piece in a new area...wooded hills. There were several "creeks" that would start about a fourth of the way down...maybe from rain run off??
Anyway, I found it where two of these creeks come together...the junction had a few broken rocks in it that got my attention. I then kicked some leaves out of the way which uncovered the point.
So, with all that said, should I continue to explore that area???
I didn't see anything else while I was there.
Thanks for the comments and advice/knowledge
It's much appreciated, not only for comments to me, but also the comments and posts you provide every day

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I look at it, it doesn't widen at the base like the one in the picture

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This what I found in overstreet but I have no knowledge when it comes to naming points.
My dilemma: I found this piece in a new area...wooded hills. There were several "creeks" that would start about a fourth of the way down...maybe from rain run off??
Anyway, I found it where two of these creeks come together...the junction had a few broken rocks in it that got my attention. I then kicked some leaves out of the way which uncovered the point.
So, with all that said, should I continue to explore that area???
I didn't see anything else while I was there.
Thanks for the comments and advice/knowledge
It's much appreciated, not only for comments to me, but also the comments and posts you provide every day

As a very general rule of thumb, the confluence of streams and rivers, where they converge, or where they diverge, tend to be among the best places to hunt for artifacts. I was walking a drawn down pond with friends this past Winter. The pond is two drowned rivers. As we approached where the two streams joined, I told my friends "watch what happens". Sure enough, at the confluence of the two rivers, suddenly the banks were covered with scatters of flakes and we found a few points.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that I look at it, it doesn't widen at the base like the one in the picture

I'm no authority on points from your region, but it might be a Type 1 Morrow Mountain. Type 1 has a shorter stem then Type 2, and the base of the stem can be straight or rounded. These points are also found in my neck of the woods, so I have a little experience with them. Most of the examples shown in the Eastern Seaboard section of Overstreet, which includes much of SC, may not seem to match because they show mostly examples with somewhat longer stems. But, in fact, some Type 1's have very short hafting areas. So, one possibility for your point is a narrow version of a Type 1 Morrow Mountain....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 94

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the above poster, I would say it is from the Woodland time period. Many of the points made during the Woodland period weren't made exactly like their descriptions and I consider them "Tweeners" or points with characteristics of several point types.

When typing points, the exterior shape of the point is only one characteristic of the point. You must also consider size, basal configuration, patina, flaking pattern, material, thickness, where it is found, and wear patterns. Using these characteristics would help to exclude Savannah River or Morrow Mtn.

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one very similar but it is just the base. Found it yesterday in Bamberg county and is made of chert. Looks like the same base and should be about the same length if I had the point.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I woud hit the area hard like the creek patina on it. It has a very weak base and possibly not finished. My guess is a knife.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know but it's a nice one..wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions