Found a PERFECT point! Now...what is it?

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this really pretty point in coastal Virginia this weekend. I'm normally swinging a detector but have just gotten in to the indian artifacts. I was told this is a Morrow Mountain point, but I figured I might post it and get some more info, if anyone has any. Much appreciated!

ForumRunner_20160802_095020.png

ForumRunner_20160802_095044.png

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am seconding the Decatur point identification, and thanking the poster for the additional photos. It amazes me how the maker of that point was able to remove such a small and delicate amount of material with those burin flakes from each side of the point, and to have them meet perfectly in the center of the base. Have I told y'all lately how much I love Decatur points? lol HH

OP
OP
Flathead25

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the info and help with the identification on these! I went and bought an Overstreet guide recently to try to get a better understanding on different point types. I set the broken point on a Decatur and it was pretty incredible. A perfect match. As for the first point I posted, which it seemed everyone considered an "old Kirk" or stemmed kirk, I tried to ID with the Overstreet book. It looks very similar to a few examples but when I looked at the Morrow Mountain straight base....it looks nearly identical with the flat base, size and shape. I guess my question is; how do you determine which is which? The base matches better on the Morrow Mountain, but the Kirk stemmed has the serrations. I apologize if I'm just splitting hairs, but I had no idea on the vast amount of different point types. This book is a real eye opener! Thanks again for all of the input. I think I might put the metal detector in the closet for a few years and stick to indian artifacts. Its mind blowing how much craftsmanship was around thoudands of years ago.

ForumRunner_20160828_172713.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread