New Hunter, First Find

GoTMiiLK

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2016
Western Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I would like to say hello! I'm new to the forum and I'm excited to start learning.

My brother got me interested in hunting for artifacts after he found about 7 nice points while at college over the last several months. Listening to him tell me about their history and what they're made of I got quite interested.

While trout fishing with my wife I always keep my eyes on the ground to find arrowheads or anything similar. A couple nights ago I found this nice celt. At least, I'm assuming it's a celt and I'm assuming it's made of hixton solidified sandstone but we aren't quite sure.

We're also curious about what the black dot is that you can see near the center bottom of the piece on one of the images.

I'm mostly posting it here because I'm super pumped about my first find, but also because I want to know a little more information about it, as my knowledge base is very limited.

I live in Western Wisconsin and hopefully can get my hands on a few more artifacts!

Hello to all of you and I'm happy to be a member of what appears to be a very nice forum.

Thank you for all the help you can give me! 2.jpg 1.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site GotMiilk. Glad to have you on board.

I'd say you are correct in the material, especially from your area. It does look like Hixton. Can we see a picture of the ends? If it was a Celt or a Hoe the ends will show polish from use wear. It may just be a large Knife Blade. Great find either way.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice 1st find and welcome to the forum. I have to warn you though its very additive this hobby. I am always thinking about my next day off and where I will be going to find something new. The black dots you are asking about is probably mineral deposits which is a good thing it shows the age and is a good thing to have on your finds. Quartzite shows brown and black specks when it is old. I always look for it in my pieces with a loop to be sure somebody didnt toss a fresh piece where I hunt. Like todays finds

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've set a high standard for your first find! Congrats!

OP
OP
G

GoTMiiLK

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2016
Western Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know haha. Especially finding it right in the middle of a trout stream. I've certainly got the itch though!

When I was golfing last night I was staring at the rocks in the sand trap like I would actually find something... I should probably settle down a little bit.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know haha. Especially finding it right in the middle of a trout stream. I've certainly got the itch though!

When I was golfing last night I was staring at the rocks in the sand trap like I would actually find something... I should probably settle down a little bit.

I don't golf, but friends have found artifacts in them bunkers!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a golf course in our area that is right next to a large farm where artifacts were found for years. I don't golf, but I had buddies that would hit the ball out into the field on purpose and then go out and get it all the while looking for artifacts. They found quite a few nice pieces over the years until the farmer got wise and put up a high barb wire fence that is almost impossible to get over so if the ball goes there now it's just gone.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a super find for your first one:thumbsup:. Like the others have said it could be a hoe, large knife blade or a celt. Photos of the large end will tell the story. Welcome to t-net:hello:

OP
OP
G

GoTMiiLK

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2016
Western Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for the help! Here are the other pictures in case anyone is still curious! I hope you all had good weekends.

5.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Swamibobbyji

Aug 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellas, I'm currently road tripping across country and am in Wisconsin near viroqua. I hunt heads in Louisiana and would like to acquire 1 head from each state I visit. I'm hoping to link up with someone in the area to help me accomplish this. Now I'm not greed nor do want to hit anyone's honey hole though I will say if you show me yours I will show you mine. Lol ultimately I just want to make some good connections and achieve my goal if you do help me out here I'm certainly they kinda fella that would let you keep whatever I find aside from 1 for the 50 states case and of course if your ever in the south hit me up. Happy hunting and I look forward to the new connection

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Looks like a fine grained quartzite, so in your area, yes that probably means Hixton Silicified Sandston. I don't think it is a finished piece. It looks like what in older books would be called a "quarry blank" which is a mid to late stage preform. Basically it's as far as the knapper feels he needs to take the piece using direct percussion knapping while at the quarry to feel like the piece is worth taking with him. Later it can be finished into whatever he wants, or traded to a rock poor neighbor. Back at that time, if you needed to "buy" rock, this is the form you would want it in, it has been taken far enough to thoroughly test the material and prove it's value, but with enough there to made it into anything you want. Kind of like milled lumber. Blowing up the middle picture in the second set of photos, while it is fuzzy, the flaking looks very good, dare I say, possibly paleo. If you get a chance, put in the hands of a regional expert and see what they think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread