JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in the southwestern part of Virginia about 20 years ago, and has been sitting on a shelf since then. Maybe someone here can provide some insight as to what it is/was.

To me it appears to be made of horn, or almost petrified wood, as it's heavier than wood, but not heavy enough to be stone. It measures 13" long. What I think is the top measures 1/25-1.5 inches wide and is lower in the middle (see the first picture), and has 3 holes. Two are drilled thru to one side, and one to the other. The two holes have been drilled from each side, and meet in the middle. There's a slight groove carved between the holes on the side so whatever was threaded thru them would lay. The bottom measures a little over .50 inches and it 1.5 inched "tall". The bottom is curved at one end.
IMG_9639.jpg
IMG_9634.jpg
IMG_9635.jpg
IMG_9636.jpg
IMG_9637.jpg
IMG_9638.jpg
IMG_9632.jpg
IMG_9633.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like old bone that was drilled. Not sure what it is though.Great pictures. Seems to also show where it was carved down for some reason.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting and cool find. Your item looks like a well patinaed antler or bone. It may have been used to lash onto a sled or travois.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Looks like the boat stones, but it might be like "Old Digger" said. Definetly a utilitarian piece. I'm thinking a bow drill for starting fires, but I could be wrong.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Old Digger is on the right track and like Tn Mnt. said looks to be old bone or it could be old Ivory. It's a very cool find and one that does not fall into a certain type, all we can do is guess. We still don't know for sure how all stone items were used and for what. I would have someone from your area that is tied in with NA artifacts like a museum take a look at it, an then they will only be guessing. Thanks for posting:thumbsup: I love it but I can't give you a positive ID:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
JonG

JonG

Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think old digger has it. I always thought it looked like an old ice skate, so a travois piece makes sense. Until someone tells me otherwise, that's what it is. Sure beats telling them I don't know!

I'm going to take better pics and send them off to see if any of the local historians or museums have any ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think old digger has it. I always thought it looked like an old ice skate, so a travois piece makes sense. Until someone tells me otherwise, that's why it is. Sure beats telling them I don't know!

I'm going to take better pics and send them off to see if any of the local historians or museums have any ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And thank you for sharing it with us.

Quigi

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hazzard a guess at a childrens toy. cedarpinlg.jpg

Woodland natives often made them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread