fordphan

Greenie
Aug 8, 2016
Ridgeway, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law found this item at the family homestead many years ago. He took it to the Indian museum in Indianapolis a few years ago, they told him it was a very important piece and was most likely from the Mound Builders who were in the Ill, Ind, Oh. They said it could be as much as 4000 years old. They wouldn't put a price on it as they don't buy things they want donations. The figure looks like a sitting man or woman or possibly a animal of some sort. I would like to know the worth of it or at least some more history. I hope some one can direct me to some one with more knowledge than I. 100_8874.JPG 100_8875.JPG 100_0738.JPG 100_0739.JPG 100_0749.JPG 100_0746.JPG 100_0745.JPG . I have included some new pictures of some of the other items we found in and around our G Great father's farm. There is what they called a "Finger Knife", a large tooth, a "Burin" He was given title to the land in 1893, it included 160 acres. They had to improve the land and build living space in order to remain on the land and get a clear title. Their farm turned out to be the last farm in side the city limits of Indianapolis. We moved there in the 50s, it still had a barn, chicken coop, windmill and several smaller sheds. My brother and I found all sorts of "Neat" things such as glass eggs, pony shoes, hand made nails. The buildings were put together with wooden pegs. The lumber for the buildings came from the land. The property was in our family until 2014, when my brother passed away. My GGF & aunt won many ribbons and prizes at the Indiana State Fair. My aunt won the Grand Prize for her Quilt, she was awarded a set of Sterling Silverware, a big blue ribbon and $50, this was quite bit back then. The funny thing about the silverware, it was engraved with my aunt's initials witch were the same as my brother's. Thanks for all the good info.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I think we can now confidently ID this figurine as a modern era onyx "speak no evil" monkey carving. Here is the one from this thread, and the similar examples. The one in this thread is better made, but there is no longer any doubt in my own mind as to what it is.

Great work Charl.

OK you all win! I was hoping to find a site where there was some "Real Help" and interest. But alas this site is like most of the rest, a bunch of know it all's with no real knowledge. Why would I waste my time and the time of the People at the American Indian Center, if this was a pencil topper, game piece, or bought at a gift shop? I'm sure there are some people on this site who are more respectful of others, and to those I apologize for my feelings. You don't have to wait for any more postings from me, I thought this was a genuine site interested in the history of some unique finds, but I was wrong. Please remove me from any future mailings. Thanks.

Good lord what thin skin. Too bad you didn't stick around and you may have learned something - you came here for help after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread