smoking pipe ?

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in the forty's or fifty's my grandpaw and uncle dug out a small cave and walled it up to make a root cellar ,and my uncle sayed while they were digging they found a few clay pipes and other artifacts that were never saved. all the dirt is piled up outside and has never been gone through. my ? is would the pipes be ruined in the outside wet and elements. i know i can save other pieces but clay and bone i dont know. this was done back whene nobody around here saved stuff like this . just wondering. i dont want to hijack the other guys pipe thread so i ask myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial clay pipes won't disintegrate in the ground because they are fired clay, ceramic. I must assume that only broken pieces of the pipes would be found, but hey, it beats a stick in the eye, huh?

If you sift the dirt, you might find, bone or shell buttons, clay marbles, glass or ceramic fragments. All kinds of non-conductive non-sense!

Best of luck to you sir!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure would set up a sifter and start moving some dirt. Don't used a shovel. If your luck is like mine, you will bust every pipe in the pile. Good Luck and post pictures of anything you find.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I better clarify myself ,these are not colonial but native american artifacts.( i didint want to get on anyone elses thread). so if these pipes havent been fired there probly gone right.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smoking through the pipe would be a low grade of fireing and being that they have been covered in soil for a long time, they will still be there. Just don't get carried away with a shovel to hard and damage something. Keep us posted 😊

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pipes should be fine unless they were damaged during digging. If they saw pipes, there could be lots of other stuff. Use a 1/4 inch screen in your sifter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread