axe head?

Molly_Hatchet

Jul 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
axe head? i thought I would take advantage of the amazing morning light angles and try to capture the texture. So here are the photos... what do you think?
it was found just under the water by the Farmington River bank in Central Connecticut. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't believe it's an axe. It's sandstone, a poor choice of tool stone for an axe. They usually used hardstone. Basalt in southern New England. And it's not the form our axes take.

The question is, is it an artifact at all? Well, many of our region's agricultural tools are made of poor tool stone, like schist and sandstone, for instance. But, even then, you will notice man made work applied to the stone. For example, these sandstone spades from New England. One can see that they have been shaped to a degree, especially chipped along the leading edge or business end. But, looking at your stone, I don't see any indication that it was actually modified or chipped along the edge.

It has the overall shape of some of our cruder agricultural tools, and it gave me pause for that reason. Looks like it has a handle end, and a bit end. Maybe can't rule it out, being pounded worn, and water worn. But I think the path of least resistance is to conclude it's natural, and not an artifact.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 121

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance I thought it may have been a Stone Hoe like the type I find here in my area, but after opening your pictures and looking closer I can that it isn't. It has the overall shape but it lacks any of the flaking, grinding, or use polish that these artifacts always exhibit.

Here's some pictures of some of my hoes so you see what I mean. You can see the edge flaking and grinding to make these and the polish on the ends from extensive use.

Attachments

• Clark Farm (707).jpg
    Clark Farm (707).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Clark Farm (708).jpg
    Clark Farm (708).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_6716.jpg
    100_6716.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_6717.jpg
    100_6717.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_6718.jpg
    100_6718.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 107

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man its one of those do I keep it or chunk it. I say keep it till you find another 1 to compare it to. I have found some ugly and I mean ugly stone artifacts and we have plenty of flint here so flip a coin is bout all I can say.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others, no sign of any flaking, chipping, grinding and especially polish from use...... Natural rock..

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has the shape and shows modification along the edges on most sides. The 5th pic shows the bit and it appears to have been modified. The rock wasn't modified very much but it didn't have to be. It doesn't show any signs of use or wear, but it could be an axe.

OP
OP
M

Molly_Hatchet

Jul 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for ALL of your replies. Ill throw this one in my basket outside - not quite puterite, but not for display either. I have a LOT of rocks (and some intriqing pottery)... I'm trying to hone my eye. Its really difficult to reconcile the difference between being "worked" and "polished". Im sure ive got something here. Ill just post one every day. Today Ill post the next "axe-head" shape... probably an example of looking all polished with no signs of working��

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and helping me to train my eyes. Im in love with that river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread