Game Stone Or Marble?

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a marble. Congratulations......a very nice find.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I've found around a dozen over the years. Never knew if they were NA or historic.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't find any post contact relics there then I would say game stone for sure!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a deburring stone to me. I have quite a few of those over the years and how they get into fields is beyond me but they do.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a hard call for sure but usually the white ones are a milling ball type but maybe you can take it to your next show and then give us a update.

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one very similar about a month ago. I did some research and it seems like it is probably an old ceramic marble made by the white man, but often traded with the Native Americans. Here are some pics of what I found. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have one like that too but mine seems to be a very worn Bennington.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks almost to round or to perfect to be a game stone. The deburring stone comes to mind like the others have said and I know farmers that find them in their tractors when working on them, they say it had to come from the factory with it still in them. That might explain how they end up in fields.:dontknow:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find. It almost looks like the clay marbles we find up here in the fields in Illinois. I have found them in White, Orange, and Yellow colors.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine found a bigger one in the creek and then his friend found one. My friend traded him a big pretty Kirk he found for the game ball. He wanted to keep them together for his frame for the area. He took them to a show and found out they were milling balls. Guess he is out a Kirk

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some experience with CNC's, vibrators, and milling machines. IMO, this piece is not modern milling ball. It would take about 5 seconds under my microscope for me to prove it. Americus, if you want to mail it to me, I'd look at it for you. I'd even mail it back. lol

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some experience with CNC's, vibrators, and milling machines. IMO, this piece is not modern milling ball. It would take about 5 seconds under my microscope for me to prove it. Americus, if you want to mail it to me, I'd look at it for you. I'd even mail it back. lol

And you may very well be correct, but it sure looks just like the ones I have found and very similar to the ones in these pictures. It just doesn't look like a Clay Marble that is what it would be at that size.

Attachments

• HTB182CTFVXXXXavXXXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg
    HTB182CTFVXXXXavXXXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen-Shot-2016-03-10-at-4.04.28-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2016-03-10-at-4.04.28-PM.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 72

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hardstone and it has impurities which eliminates a milling stone IMO. It was found away from modern civilization in a known ancient Native American area of concentration and my only question would be "Is it pre-Historic?" It could be something from an early settler (like a marble) but from my experience, I say that is not as likely as it being a Native American game stone. It took an awful lot of work to make and I've seen them many times before.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
In my opinion it is probably a historic, hand painted china marble with the hand painted decoration now long gone. We have dug literally hundreds of them from 19th century urban privy pits over the years, and yours looks like it would be right at home with the rest of them. I think it is probably the wrong material, wrong size, and too perfectly round to be a prehistoric game stone. It is also considerably smaller than what I normally see found and identified as earlier milling stones. I can see how it seems way out of place if you are finding no other historic artifacts in the area, but when launched from a boys slingshot, such convenient projectiles can travel well off the beaten path ? If you get a chance, you may want to compare it side by side with some mid 19th century hand painted china marbles and let us know how it compares. HH

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it is not unusual for me to find 19th century marbles at native sites.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I found one just like it out on the desert in the middle of no where laying with a large amount of painted pottery cherds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread