Question about Clay Effigy Pipe - I Think Its Real - I think?

juliefpc

Aug 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently attended a very small auction in a very small town in Indiana. The estate findings were pretty impressive and the owner had a very extensive collection of North American Native art, pottery, jewelry, etc. However, the auctioneer just basically passed off everything as Navajo. I knew some of the pieces were actually Hopi and of course purchased them as I love old pre 1950 Hopi pottery which is virtually impossible to find these days. But I came across an effigy pipe of a lizard or salamander and it has me stumped. I ve never seen anything like it, and Ive seen my fair share of fakes. I dont think this is a fake. Its too naturally weathered and too simple to be a fake. It is crude in the way it is fashioned and the underside is very uneven and bumpy, most fakes I see are pretty smooth. Care to take a look and tell me what your opinion is? I appreciate it.

effigypipe.jpg effigypipe1.jpg effigypipe2.jpg

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be from South America? I'm not too familiar with their styles but I could swear I've seen some South American pipes that resemble this one. Cool piece though!!

OP
OP
J

juliefpc

Aug 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be from South America? I'm not too familiar with their styles but I could swear I've seen some South American pipes that resemble this one. Cool piece though!!

I didnt think of that, I just automatically assumed it was Native American since I bought it in the US lol. I will do some more research, thx!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably from Mexico and more then likely a modern piece. I saw Pipes just like this one being sold in shops around Cancun when we were there a couple years ago.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quit a few years ago i picked up a display case of pipes like that from Guatemala brought them home keep them for a few years and got tired of looking at them so gave them to a friend. one day me and the wife were flee marketing and guess what i found in a Indian relic pile, a bunch of them pipes. ask the guy where he got them and you guessed it ,my friends name came up . he was selling them for seventy five dollars a piece. o well the hole case did not cost that much. but again yours could be the real deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread