Ear Plug...Never imagined another one would be found!

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all-

Haven't posted in a while but I felt I needed to share this...10 years after my niece found an ear plug (see original post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...cts/23308-ear-plug-anyone-ever-found-one.html) I was lucky enough to find one of my own today. Here are the pics. Note the tally marks. Cannot believe it! My niece (now 20) says she doesn't feel so special anymore. (Hers is on the left in the picture.)

Thanks for looking.

BJH

Attachments

• Ear Plug insitu.png
    Ear Plug insitu.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Ear Plug.jpg
    Ear Plug.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 242
  • imageedit_2_4367634199.jpg
    imageedit_2_4367634199.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice find.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you have a complete set of ear plugs - anyway thanks for sharing your post with us.

Texas ED

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Neat finds. Those would certainly be rare finds from your area, but pretty classic Mississippian relics. Oneota Complex would be my guess, or made by a different Mississippian group and traded up into your area as part of the Mississippian material exchange. (There is a lot of Oneota pottery that made it down to the Angel site in Southern Indiana, as well as Catlinite from Minnesota and a related type of pipestone & Copper from Ontario Canada that went south. Marine shells, beads, bois d'arc wood went north.) There were some some other groups that could have made it if you are closer to the Dakota border (Black Duck Complex.)

They don't look like a matching pair, so if you found them on a single site you've probably got a pretty significant cultural site below your feet. In Indiana and Kentucky, they moved from mound burials to non-mound burials later in their phase, which might mean it just looks like a normal field if you don't happen to see a big mound nearby. Non-mound features included pit burials with multiple individuals, individual flexed burials (curled up), extended burials, even the start of tree burials, etc.

Do you find any pottery on the site? I'd love to see a chunk, that can usually pin down the specific group that had items like these.

OP
OP
B

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments. The earplugs were found in the same plowed farm field but probably a 1/4-1/2 mile apart. The field sits on the Minnesota/North Dakota border.

Joshua--Thanks for the information. Any additional websites, books, etc. where I can find information is appreciated. (I've done a lot of looking but haven't found much.) We find a ton of pottery at this site. Most of the pottery we find is shell tempered and isn't decorated. I'm attaching some pics of the decorated pottery we find. pottery 4.jpg pottery 2.jpg pottery 3.jpg Pottery.jpg

BJH

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat. Have heard about them but think that is the first time I have seen one. Thanks for sharing.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Joshua said, those are very rare artifacts and to find two complete specimens on the surface is astounding.

That belongs on the Banner so everyone should go back and vote for it.

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
I would vote banner but I'm still mad you went without me...O.K., I guess you deserve to find something like this since I'm the one that always comes home with the better finds. Seriously though, this is the first one I've seen since my daughter found hers 10 years ago. In that time I've seen many old-time local collections and have attended a few artifact shows around Minnesota and North Dakota and have not come across another one; which makes me believe as Joshua and Grim have said, that they are rare, especially for area.

Way to go brother!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Spectacular finds!

With the amount of pottery that is being found, something tells me you are missing an awful lot of flint and other artifacts. I would be examining every flake of flint I see, and popping a whole lot of rocks out of the ground on that site if I were you.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Spectacular finds!

With the amount of pottery that is being found, something tells me you are missing an awful lot of flint and other artifacts. I would be examining every flake of flint I see, and popping a whole lot of rocks out of the ground on that site if I were you.

Yep = SIFT !

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The points are probably tiny like 1 in and less. The ear plug things are cool never seen any before.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the Banner button, Good Luck

OP
OP
B

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks quito...We do find plenty of other artifacts on this site. If you look back at some of the threads of my brother (tchaire), many of the things in those posts were found on this site. This site has been hunted for decades (long before I started looking). I'm always amazed at what we still find in this field.

OP
OP
B

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock...Most of the points on this site are less than an inch...Usually triangles. Thanks for the banner vote.

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never even knew they were an artifact..really cool...I'm voting banner too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread