Need the pros opinion here. Tool question

Sep 18, 2011
This was found on a walking trail in se Wisconsin. The trail is partially crushed limestone and part dirt. I know that chert is a biproduct of limestone and find a lot of chucks. The area was also once a Native American site and lithics are frequently found along the trail. So here is the question- would you think this is an artifact or simply a biproduct of the chert found in limestone ? It does appear to have a worked edge-assuming I am seeing that correctly.
thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks did not need to be modified in any way to be utilized as a tool. Examination of the wear patterns on the stone will give a good indication if it was utilized as a tool. It doesn't have much wear if it has any, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks-so let me ask this of the knappers out there. Putting aside any evidence of wear, does this piece show evidence of being possible debitage or modified in any way to make a tool-even though perhaps not used?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No signs I can see of man.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks. This is an image of a piece found not too far away. I was told that it was a scraper. It looks very similar to the one I just posted. What differences can be seen to state that one was a scraper and the other wasn't? Just looking to fine tune any knapping skills that I have :)
thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 54

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be a hard call from just a photo. If the limestone was crushed and placed on the trial you might guess it went through crusher and came out that way. There are the signs of impact work on the stone, but I have found stone like this in drive ways when a lot of traffic would drive over the stone. It may take a microscope or a good eye piece to look at the edge to see if there is any wear from use. If there was much use you would see a shine to the edge, other than that you will have to use a scope. If other artifacts are being found in this area, I would keep it just to study it and compare it to others. Good eye on the trial.:icon_thumright:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be in a old site from where they were mining limestone not ancient but old from 1800-1900. I have a section I am allowed to hunt that they use to mine for the Limestone and the oldtimers had some kind of machinery that made rocks like the ones you are posting maybe a drill type not really sure. Thought I hit a ancient spot till I told the owner then he let me know what it was.

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
The trail was put down in the 1960's. Imported limestone mainly w/few chert nodules. It was run thru an archaic site which also included woodland and Mississippian pottery. One if those things we may never know I guess. It's still fun to look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread