Huge hammer and hammerstone

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all-

Out hunting yesterday about 1/2 mile from where I found the earplug. Another field that has been hunted and farmed for decades. Then these two pop up. I found the 3/4 groove hammer first. It's big...15lbs, 8.5" long and 18.5" around at its widest spot. The groove is about 1.5". The white streak looks like a plow scar.

The hammerstone was about 20 yards away. It's varies in diameter from 5.5" to 6.5". It's about 1.5" thick. Biggest one I've found. Makes me wonder if it was used in the process to tap out the groove in the hammer? Any thoughts on that?

I sure got a workout lugging them back to my truck but it's the kind of workout I like!

Thanks for looking,

BJH

Attachments

• Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 134
  • Hammer1.jpg
    Hammer1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 146
  • hammerstone.jpg
    hammerstone.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find. Thing is a beast... Congrats!
From the picture of the hammer stone it looks like it could of been used during the grinding down process of the hammer. And If it was used in the production of the stone hammer there should be a chisel hiding in that field. The pecking marks are from constant impact with the chisel on the face of the hammer stone. This is just from what I can tell with your pics. Nice find!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations...Super find you made...I'm sure you'll hunt that field again soon! Good luck when you do!

OP
OP
B

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rege...Found in Minnesota

Buckleberry...Does not have a smooth side. Very similar to the other hammerstones I find, just a lot bigger. The wear on the edge goes about 3/4 of the way around.

Thanks

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
These huge hammers have always interested me as to their use. Both ends are not exactly flat and one would have difficulty trying to hammer in a large stake. Therefore they seem to be designed to transfer as much force as possible on a small area and the extreme weight would not be something that someone would carry around every day. The two uses that come to mind would be breaking ice in the winter to get water and bashing in the skulls of downed but not quite dead bison. Just my thoughts...........Oh and a super nice example!

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find and thanks for sharing. When I first saw the pic of the one with the groove it reminded me of a stone that I remember a girl bringing in to show and tell when I was in grade school (in the 80s). I have been paying attention to this forum for a while now and once in a while I remember that stone and think about why I haven't seen one much like it here in terms of size. This one, however, is very similar. Interesting that this one too was found in Minnesota.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a big one for sure. I have heard all kinds of theories on those but 1 that stands out to me well maybe 2. Canoe weight and the other depends on the age of it but I have heard they used them to tie their horses to it so they wouldnt run off. Just a couple other things for you to consider. Its a keeper

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow what a find , That is one sweet monster piece.

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
Awesome find. Man they had to be strong to hammer away with that thing.

Not too sure on the rules for banner finds. I still see ur ear plug up on the banner. But I think this find is just as banner worthy. You got my nomination.....

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a man size maul but the hammer stone from what I see may be the making of a discoidal game stone. Some better photos of it would be great, then we could know for sure. Super duper finds:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

OP
OP
B

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monsterrack--Here are some more photos. Same stone, lighting is just different. . 1st pic shows the part of the stone that doesn't show wear, 2nd pic shows some battering marks on the top of the stone (this is pretty common with the hammerstones we find), 3rd pic shows the wear which covers about 3/4 of the stone's edge. Thanks for the comments.

hammerstone.jpg hammerstone2.jpg hammerstone3.jpg

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it great to recover such great artifacts from the fields that have been plowed and turned over so many times! Way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread