IMG_3088.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like hard stone celts..........you need to tell us the length, and what state they were found in. Some are called pole celts because they are longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
They look like hard stone celts..........you need to tell us how long they are, and what state they were found in. Some are called pole celts because they are longer.

Thank you for the reply.

The one on my table mat is 4" long, the other one is about 6" but it's at my friends house so I cant get an exact measurement.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are celts then at that length. They both seem to have broken with a pretty good impact. I have not found a lot of them splintered like those, most are broken in half. Those are not plow damaged. What state does your friend live in again.........location is everything.

Last edited:

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They looked like east coast celts. They are bigger than the ones here in Ohio. Mainejman will tell you what you have........

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, cant believe your friend does not think these are a big deal, or maybe he does. glad he kept them anyway. elements of material culture...

OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
wow, cant believe your friend does not think these are a big deal, or maybe he does. glad he kept them anyway. elements of material culture...

He knew they were something, but didn't really know what to make of them. I was pretty damn surprised when I saw them. Thanks for all the info so far. I'm going to have to walk that creak bed at some point. Is it possible to date these or were they uses for a very long period of time?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, authentic stone celts. They replaced the earlier grooves axes. These are from the woodland period, not more than about 1,000 years old. When the Europeans first arrived, these were the types used by the natives at that time.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some collectors are lucky just to find 1 but he got 2 so far. Must be a stock pile of them out there some place.

OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
Yea, pretty damn lucky. He found a 3" 4 pound cannon ball too. Any monetary value to the celts? I see prices all over the place on ebay. It seems they arent worth selling and would be better served displayed in the house.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, pretty damn lucky. He found a 3" 4 pound cannon ball too. Any monetary value to the celts? I see prices all over the place on ebay. It seems they arent worth selling and would be better served displayed in the house.

Damaged pieces tell a story but the people that buy are looking for perfect pieces so with the damage it would be better off just keeping them. Memories are priceless.

Arsenal

Jul 13, 2016
Austin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Rock said, I have never found one in many years of hunting many places. Also, I know nothing about the buying/selling of artifacts but I would display those proudly! Very nice finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread