rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I couldnt find anybody who would answer their phones today unless they didnt want to talk to me, haha. I was trying to go look for a nice worked rock. I ended up at one of my old places where I have scored in the past. They lease it out for deer season so I was looking for hunters before I went. Didnt see any trucks so I went on down to the creek. We need some rain real bad cause the creek is nothing but black stained cobbles. It was a hard day of looking but I managed to find a few things no points though which I thought for sure I would find at least 1. I will go upstream next time. N GA. Anyway here are the finds, rock

Attachments

• SDC11854.JPG
    SDC11854.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • SDC11849.JPG
    SDC11849.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I'd say that was late Mississippian, I'd probably say early to middle. Tough call on that one, I could be wrong but I usually go with my first impression.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Love that pottery rim Rock!!! Sure wish I could find some of that here. The pattern on it is amazing. Great find!!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds rocks. Our creeks are done here for awhile unless we get a washer. The invasion of the leaves have taken over.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I'd say that was late Mississippian, I'd probably say early to middle. Tough call on that one, I could be wrong but I usually go with my first impression.

I used Lloyds book to answer the question at hand. In his book Late was the plain below the rim decoration like this piece. I have found many pieces of pottery in this area I call it "Pottery Point" 1st nice big rim section of a pot I have found there. I must of walked past it a 100 times before the water got low enough to see it. The creek is dry except for a couple of deep holes which Im not looking in by the size of the alligator turtle I saw out there walking between the deep holes. That thing could take a hand off.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great rim piece Rock and it will look good in a display.:icon_thumright:

Its going in a frame for sure. Im not even going to wash it I like the color it has now. Im working on my 2nd frame of shards now I am only putting the nice pieces in it. Thanks

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that pot rim! The worked pieces are real nice too. I know what you mean about the cobbles in the creek.

Hard to believe the creek has dried up like that. Last winter the creek was rushing so hard it could take your feet out from under you if you didnt walk slow. The flint pieces are debitage and broken but shows how they were making something good now I just have to find it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds rocks. Our creeks are done here for awhile unless we get a washer. The invasion of the leaves have taken over.

Yes I know about the leaves. This is the 1st winter we have had where it gets colder without the rain so Im just not sure how cold its going to get. We need a week of rain to get the leaves washed away and the creek back to normal level. They pulled the cotton so Im driving out that way today but then again without rain chances are the cotton will be scattered so its in the same boat as the creeks. Im looking anyway due to I found a nice Mississippian campsite last year tiny points.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that pottery rim Rock!!! Sure wish I could find some of that here. The pattern on it is amazing. Great find!!

Thanks and glad to see you stopped by. I have seen you find some really nice things in the dirt you still looking?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strarting to get fancy with that rim. Looks like it has been in water a long time. Nice one Rock.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look close, you can see the line in each depression made by the women's fingernail.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look close, you can see the line in each depression made by the women's fingernail.

Thats neat never knew they used the fingernail to make the impressions on that type of pot. At the end of the year I will post my frames from this year when they are full. You might see some rare pieces

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread