When you say shell debris...??

Momof3

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Campbell ky
Detector(s) used
The trash finding kind!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning everyone! So while I was hunting the spot where I found my last post ( cresap) I was also amazed and hunting these as well! There are tons of them.. Not living that I have / can find! So my question is were they a food source long ago! One thing for sure is this amount pictured weighs about 5 lbs! Heavy and thick!! I just thought they were pretty neat!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Momof3

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Campbell ky
Detector(s) used
The trash finding kind!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should probably note these were found in a river!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not we have some huge clams that live in the creeks here. When I 1st saw a empty shell I thought it was from the ocean. But later found out they are freshwater clams. I bet the natives ate them up. Now if you happen to be walking a field and come across some pieces in the dirt in a campsite area then you have found a trash pit.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they all piled up in one area or are they spread out all over? If one big pile it's most likely a Midden and worth looking through for broken and discarded artifacts. If spread out all over then most just naturally dying Clams.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a pile or miden on the river (navigable waterway) be careful that you do not get in trouble as it is illegal to dig in them. Many colonial places also had shell pits. If you are finding flint then it probably Native american. If not use a metal detector and see what else might be there.
Good luck

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking box turtle until I opened the thread. We have freshwater clams around here that can get huge.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fresh water mussels. When fishing I look for shell middens washing out of the bank and find a couple of new ones every year. Other than finding gobs of mussel shells I have yet to find a tool or point in the mix. Occasionally I find a small piece of flint. The large shell in the upper left appears to be a 3 ridge or a washboard. I have tried eating them but they taste just like the river water smells. Every shell midden I have found and dug into were at places that were shallow and made finding mussels for them easy...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread