Arrow head?

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg While out hunting pinon nuts this week end on my nephews ranch we found this. The ranch is located in Bernal,NM, Its on the western edge of the great plains.,with in sight of the old Santa Fe trail. We are pretty sure from what we have been told the area was once frequented by the Comanche.This is on top of a mesa adjacent to a mountain called starvation peak. My question is why would they make an arrow head so small, and any idea as to what the age of this might be?

Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an arrowhead. Good for small game like rabbits, and birds.
Nice find.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
View attachment 1381143 While out hunting pinon nuts this week end on my nephews ranch we found this. The ranch is located in Bernal,NM, Its on the western edge of the great plains.,with in sight of the old Santa Fe trail. We are pretty sure from what we have been told the area was once frequented by the Comanche.This is on top of a mesa adjacent to a mountain called starvation peak. My question is why would they make an arrow head so small, and any idea as to what the age of this might be?

Nice one! Looks like Obsidian.

Most arrowheads are small, and they used them little guys on everything, from birds and bunnies to people, elk, and buffalo.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the size of the base makes me think that it was much larger at one time and resharpened several times. You've got a nice find there. I would also recommend re-checking the area that the point was found in. There may be more. Good luck!

OP
OP
snakeyes

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMGP2854.JPG I found these pieces in the same general area, They look to be the same material as the arrow head. The property owner said that he's never run across any stone like that, so it must have come from from some other area. If the weather holds I'll be going back this week end.His brother in law used to walk from the ranch house to Starvation Peak and over the years collected a bucket of arrow heads, unfortunately they were all stolen after he passed

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. You've got a good area to look over there. Smaller points were attached to arrows and made for better penetration. It's pretty old, and probably not related to the Comanche at all, maybe apache, Anasazi, or pueblo people. By the time the Comanche were down in that area, they had quit knapping points out of flint, as they were raiding the Spanish and real quick to see the advantages of metal, more so than other Southern Plains tribes.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice point. Congratulations

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a true arrowhead made for bow and arrow. Back when the at a la ta was being used for hunting the points were larger but as humans evolved they found out the points for killing and fighting didnt have to be large to kill a man. The points were tiny on purpose so when you were shot by 1 you couldnt get it out cause we didnt have surgery back then for that type of thing and you then would get blood posing and die. I have found a few small points and the smallest .50 long. The point you found is a very nicely made 1 and looks like its all there.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1381408 I found these pieces in the same general area, They look to be the same material as the arrow head. The property owner said that he's never run across any stone like that, so it must have come from from some other area. If the weather holds I'll be going back this week end.His brother in law used to walk from the ranch house to Starvation Peak and over the years collected a bucket of arrow heads, unfortunately they were all stolen after he passed

Well you should do some walking to if he found them there will still be plenty more just have to think small.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great point. It could have been used for a long time. You might find even smaller ones around the old dried up lakes. Great area your in. Happy Hunting.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
snakeyes

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back up on the mesa Saturday an walked around for a few hours, I didn't locate any more indian artifacts, but I did find this bullet using the metal detector. Now what in the world somebody be doing shooting something this big, any ideas as to what this my have come from? image.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread