Newbie help

Benji0406

Greenie
Nov 19, 2016
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I was recently by a river in Kansas with my kids and what started with one interesting rock turned into a ton of them. I washed them all and have been trying to figure out if I even have anything. I'm sure most of it is rocks. I for sure have a few pieces of pottery but I'm struggling with how to identify artifacts. Can you give me some tips on how to narrow down the items and what type of pictures are needed of the important items for identification? I'll add a few pictures to give you an idea of what I'm looking at. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7540.JPG
    IMG_7540.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7541.JPG
    IMG_7541.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7542.JPG
    IMG_7542.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7543.JPG
    IMG_7543.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7544.JPG
    IMG_7544.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, while you are waiting for some help - let me say Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Benji0406. Glad to have you on board with us.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in your group of stones that is an artifact. Everything looks to be naturally formed to me.

OP
OP
B

Benji0406

Greenie
Nov 19, 2016
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your responses! I'm going to post a few detail pictures of ones I'm really curious about. It won't hurt my feelings if I don't have anything. I have really enjoyed the process and would like to learn how to identify pieces so I can go out again and maybe get something cool.

OP
OP
B

Benji0406

Greenie
Nov 19, 2016
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

This one was interesting to me because of the coating on the outside.

OP
OP
B

Benji0406

Greenie
Nov 19, 2016
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0009.jpg

This is some kind of broken item but the river is right by a railroad so it could have come from any where.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
really you have just a bunch of tumbled rocks. When you find the real deal, you won't even have to ask. Remember that artifacts almost always have an obvious function and for that matter, a modern day counter part that often resembles the archaic form.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you posted is a naturally tumbled creek or river rock. No artifacts in that bunch at all. I honestly don't see any Pottery either.

OP
OP
B

Benji0406

Greenie
Nov 19, 2016
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you posted is a naturally tumbled creek or river rock. No artifacts in that bunch at all. I honestly don't see any Pottery either.

Darn! Thank you for looking again. Is there a book you recommend that can help me know what to look for next time so I don't end up with a bunch of interesting looking rocks?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points by Noel Justice is a good book.

Sun Circles and Human Hands by Emma Lila Fundaburk and Mary Douglass Fundaburk Foreman is also a good book.

Personally I would steer clear of any Overstreet book until you learn more.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you can get specific to your area too....lots of publications out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions