Your Opinion On Point Type Please.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
R1.jpg R2.jpg R3.jpg R4.jpg R5.jpg Point is from Webster County Missouri. Burlington material. What is your opinion on point type? :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow: Could have been traded in from some other part of the country....JMHO

Thanks T.C. for always giving your honest opinion. I know some may immediately say Dalton at first glance, but.....

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area is very popular with Dalton points. This piece exhibits classic basal thinning like Daltons have. I cannot see if there is any grinding on the base though, and it is a very triangular shape. The resharpening, if any, isnt quite typical of a Dalton Classic, but one guy didn't make all the Daltons either.
I get the feeling that you want someone to class this in with Clovis, but, if it was, there would be a straighter base and then taper to the tip from resharpening, this piece has a straight line from basal ear to the tip. Lets see some edge shots, and good luck taking the pictures! Sometimes it can be pretty hard getting the picture to be clear!

Did you find this? How did you aquire it?

OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
That area is very popular with Dalton points. This piece exhibits classic basal thinning like Daltons have. I cannot see if there is any grinding on the base though, and it is a very triangular shape. The resharpening, if any, isnt quite typical of a Dalton Classic, but one guy didn't make all the Daltons either.
I get the feeling that you want someone to class this in with Clovis, but, if it was, there would be a straighter base and then taper to the tip from resharpening, this piece has a straight line from basal ear to the tip. Lets see some edge shots, and good luck taking the pictures! Sometimes it can be pretty hard getting the picture to be clear!

Did you find this? How did you aquire it?

You sir are good, and i love how you think outside the box. I will get those edge shots for ya! I have a disabled friend that lives in Springfield , Missouri that can no longer hunt, but boy oh boy does he have a collection and stories that you could listen to for hours. He is my best friend and has some major health problems and this is just 1 of hundreds that he has just given me. Thank you again sir for your correspondence!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The base really has typical dalton thinning in my opinion. There are some things that are on and others that are off.

What else did your friend give to you? I wish i had some friends that gave away this stuff. Any pictures of his collection?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to along with Padirtdigger on that. It's looks to be a Dalton and there is a large class of them.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Did your friend find this or obtain it elsewhere?

I found many relics made of burlington and crescent quarry in the past.

Are there any deposits on it?

Here are two images of a knife base I found in the late 1970's made of burlington chert.

Attachments

• burlington knife base.jpg
    burlington knife base.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 79
  • burlington knife base2.jpg
    burlington knife base2.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 76

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dognose, is that a bit of a celt or adze that you have there in the picture?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
It's hard to tell. It could of been a wadlow blade. I found many flint chipped celts and tools then. Also many broken blades over time.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask is the purple dot native to the stone? Its nice just never seen that before.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe handed down from the red stone makers

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they would work the halfing area,i think i may see some but im no expert but it looks alot like a redstone too me.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks,believe it or not but i have a friend that found one in half,not sure how many years it took him but he did put it back together.

OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks,believe it or not but i have a friend that found one in half,not sure how many years it took him but he did put it back together.

Where did he find it. Those things are rare!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in tenn,five miles from my house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread