Merry Christmas to me!

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally made some time to get to the creek this morning for the first time since September! Wasn't sure what the conditions were going to be and if everything was going to be covered in leaves. Visibility wasn't too bad and most of the rock bars were pretty free of debris.

I think baby Jesus was looking over me though because this is what he gave me on this Christmas Eve! :)

This is the second monster point that I have found in this creek in the last 6 months. Any suggestions on the point type? I'm in southern Illinois. The closest thing I can find on projectilepoints.net is Apple Creek but I am really bad at typing points..

Merry Christmas everyone!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482595987.623658.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482596006.094021.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482596024.096555.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482596037.831143.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482596054.016989.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482596066.414580.jpg

Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GASP !!!!!!!!! I bet you are still staring at it. AMAZING!!!

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GASP !!!!!!!!! I bet you are still staring at it. AMAZING!!!

Yep! I hold it while I watch tv the same way my two year old hangs on to his new Christmas toys and I'm not even embarrassed to admit it! Haha :)

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! I hold it while I watch tv the same way my two year old hangs on to his new Christmas toys and I'm not even embarrassed to admit it! Haha :)

Ha- Yeah I have an obsidian point I found about a month ago...it's broken, unfortunately, otherwise it would have been like 4" long! ( I haven't been lucky enough to find a complete) but still I go open my drawer and look at it nearly every day....

Waiting for the snow to melt to get back out there! That really is a super cool find....must have blown your mind when you saw it.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha- Yeah I have an obsidian point I found about a month ago...it's broken, unfortunately, otherwise it would have been like 4" long! ( I haven't been lucky enough to find a complete) but still I go open my drawer and look at it nearly every day....

Waiting for the snow to melt to get back out there! That really is a super cool find....must have blown your mind when you saw it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482864086.578855.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard different thoughts on how the big points survive in the creeks.
1st is they have been laying there since the day they were made. The creeks shift all the time and some believe these points were buried there and the water removes the dirt and uncovers them.
2nd is they washout of the banks then tumble till they find a resting place some tumble on each high water flow and others get stuck and manage to dodge cobbles . I feel both are correct. I find them in the channels when the water is low and also find them on the fronts of the gravel bars.
Big pieces are usually on the fronts and smaller pieces towards the back. Now did you find it on the front or rear of the gravel bar?

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard different thoughts on how the big points survive in the creeks.
1st is they have been laying there since the day they were made. The creeks shift all the time and some believe these points were buried there and the water removes the dirt and uncovers them.
2nd is they washout of the banks then tumble till they find a resting place some tumble on each high water flow and others get stuck and manage to dodge cobbles . I feel both are correct. I find them in the channels when the water is low and also find them on the fronts of the gravel bars.
Big pieces are usually on the fronts and smaller pieces towards the back. Now did you find it on the front or rear of the gravel bar?

It was actually found on the front of the rock bar. This isn't a very good pic but the point is in the lower left and you can see it is the beginning of the rock bar. It's all big cobbles in this rock bar too and I have never found anything here. It makes me wonder what else might be locked up in them if I were to start digging through it..

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483019443.310506.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds Bobguy just a killer find. This is JMO but I think that most of the large blades like that one would have been used as a knife or buried in a burial for the after life. I say this because you can't throw a heavy ended spear very far at all and a knife is a much more useful tool. JMO:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Rock is right about the distribution of artifacts in a stream. The stream deposits rocks according to their specific gravity, size and shape, bigger rocks stop first at the head of the sand bar followed in descending size to the tail of the sand bar where the finer pieces drop out. The rocks are frequently laying in a shingling manner with the top of the rock pointing down stream, this shingling layer often protects the point from breakage.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock is right about the distribution of artifacts in a stream. The stream deposits rocks according to their specific gravity, size and shape, bigger rocks stop first at the head of the sand bar followed in descending size to the tail of the sand bar where the finer pieces drop out. The rocks are frequently laying in a shingling manner with the top of the rock pointing down stream, this shingling layer often protects the point from breakage.

Would it be a good assumption to assume that points of all sizes could get caught in the larger rocks at the front of the bar making it a good place to dig?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be a good assumption to assume that points of all sizes could get caught in the larger rocks at the front of the bar making it a good place to dig?

The smaller ones tend to flip on past although it depends on the current and how high the water is on the gravel bar. I found my small point today 5 ft from the waters edge on dry land of a gravel bar and the other in the water trough section that was cutting through a gravel bar in the deeper water section. The water had gone down a couple of feet but would of been in the trough when water was higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread