My Best Day

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the Grim Reaper told such a great story, I thought I'd tell one. This happened in 1986 and was one for the ages. My Dad worked for the local co-op and knew all the farmers in the area. Jeff Paulk told him he ought to go look one of his fields over by the creek because he always sees flint out there. Dad went and checked it out and sure enough, it was a good site. Dad only found 8 or 10 points that first trip but the lithic scatter was over 5 acres. It was a big multi-component site with a huge Woodland component. The field just wasn't quite right for looking so we waited until planting season. The excitement was high when Dad told me that Jeff bottom plowed the field and we just had big rain. I practically jumped out of the truck and made my way towards the field. The dirt was perfect. The rain had knocked it down and anything on the surface just jumped out at you. I walked across the hill (Mound 1) and found a piece of Weeden Island Plain pottery as big as my hand. The bottom plow had just pulled it out. Then another, and another. I always wore a nail apron around my waist and a small army ammo bag over my shoulder. The nail apron was filling with pottery pretty fast when I found my first point. I moved on towards the village site where I saw a point sticking up. I walked over to get it and saw a point before I got there. I picked it up and stepped towards the 1st point I had seen and saw another point. I couldn't believe it. I had found 3 points back-to-back-to-back. Standing there admiring and getting the dirt off my points, I looked around. I saw another, and another, and another, and another. My jaw dropped as I saw 11 more points from where I was standing. A total of 14 points came from an area no bigger than my living room. I methodically picked them up one by one. I put them in my bag, in my apron, in my pockets, and held them in my hand. I had a rule that I didn't ever want any points to touch while in the field but I didn't have a choice that day. Between myself and my Dad, we found 150 points that day. Only 75 were whole points, but I kept all of the brokes too. That was a very special place and I lost track of the number of times we found 30 or more whole points from that field. I sprinkled some of my Dad's ashes in that field, it was his favorite.

Attachments

• Jeffs.jpg
    Jeffs.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Woodland.JPG
    Woodland.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story, Bow, and great memories with your Dad. Merry Christmas.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The kind of stuff dreams are made of.

I hope everyone can run into a day like that in their lifetime. Thanks for sharing!

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
That is an incredible story. And I thought my finding 13 whole points an pocketfuls of broken points was an great day.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thats one sweat haul and it's even more meaningful that you and your dad shared in the hunt!

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day Bow Only, especially with family to share your good fortune. Usually my Dad was bailing me out of a bad situation so these moment's make up for all of the times I was acting like a dumb ass. It's a great story and I am thankful for the holiday time I have had this weekend with my family. Out to dig and camp in the woods tomorrow with my nephews. Merry Christmas all!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story. I'm sure your Dad appreciates that you scattered some of his ashes around the site.
HH
dts

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
we LOVE these stories....where was this village? what cultural area?

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is awesome. I can't imagine what that would be like... Nice looking display as well.

Do you think these places with multiple finds like this were like bags / pouches of points left behind?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Wow that is awesome. I can't imagine what that would be like... Nice looking display as well.

Do you think these places with multiple finds like this were like bags / pouches of points left behind?

Larson 1951 had a good take on this....his thought was that when an epidemic swept through a village...everything just stopped, frozen in time...a majority of the population died fairly quickly and those few that didn't moved away and never looked back.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson 1951 had a good take on this....his thought was that when an epidemic swept through a village...everything just stopped, frozen in time...a majority of the population died fairly quickly and those few that didn't moved away and never looked back.

That makes sense

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
if you haven't already go to the start of the North American thread and click on "our friend Steve Larson"

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow that is great! thanks

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we LOVE these stories....where was this village? what cultural area?
NW Florida

In this particular field, it is my opinion that something like a category 5 hurricane or a rival tribe came in and completely destroyed the village. I was probably on a house or living area when I found so many points together. This site was very unusual in the volume of artifacts that it contained. I have over 200 rims representing 200 different pots, thousands of points, tools, and other related artifacts. This was a prominent trading village between Kolomoki and the coast. It had two mounds, a very large village area, and an unmatched ceramic diversity. I leaned on this site heavily in my studies of the Weeden Island - Ft Walton cultural transition. I greatly differ in opinion from the current state archaeologists.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
do tell...how do you differ? a lot of us question specifics in areas we know intimately. it doesnt mean we are right, but we do have a lot of insight. we were the sort of people who questioned "clovis first" before it was much of an idea. we also have some pretty whack ideas and go too far down the rabbit whole from time to time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread