Questions on three arrowheads.

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone!

I just recently uncovered a lamp from a bulldozed farm house (circa 1840). In the lamp were over 100 pieces of indian points, scrapers, etc. I don't know anything about arrowheads, but was wondering if any of you could help identify the few that were totally intact. They're beautiful things. And there's a mostly complete really big scraper? spearhead? you can see in the photo next to my hand.

My hunch is that they were found on the property over time, and someone collected them into the lamp. I didn't want to see it go to the landfill so I took it home. Is there anything interesting in the group?

IMG_3575-1.JPG

Here's an image of the farmhouse (or what's left of it).

IMG_3571.JPG

Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save. Those look like they are field grade artifacts. Probably why they were in the lamp. Would need better close up pics to give you anymore help IMO.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool story.... Not Eveyday you find a lamp full of arrowheads ..... Looks like some nice flint pieces in sure somebody from Ten. Will take a look and give more information on point types. If you were asking for selling purposes I don't think they would bring much money .... I would keep them and display and share the cool story..... Also if you have access to that area in the spring when and if they plow the fields then I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save. It would sucked to see those go to the dump.

The one in your hand looks to be a possible Adena in the middle and two Archaic Stemmed Points on the outside. The large piece above your hand, is it thin or thick? It could be a Knife broken in two or it could be part of a large Hoe depending on the thickness.

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone! It was certainly an unexpected find. I was rooting around looking for trim boards, and other architectural salvage when the lamp fell out of a pile of rubble.

I don't want to sell them, I just want to know how old they are, and what they are (if they have any kind of names, etc). I love all kinds of history, and just wanted to put their story back together, if possible. But it's not my area of expertise, for sure!

So here's some better photos - if that helps! I'm most thankful for all your amazing knowledge!

IMG_3623.JPG
IMG_3624.JPG
IMG_3625.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG
IMG_3630.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG
IMG_3634.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much, Grim.

I posted a better photo. It's pretty thin to me, (but I'm not sure what the guidelines are). How old is an archaic point? THIS IS SO COOL!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one in your new pictures looks like it may be a Table Rock which is actually a Late Archaic type and about 3,000 to 4,000 years old.

The others are just Archaic Stemmed types and they can range from Early to Late Archaic.

The large piece looks to be part of a very large Knife. That is very thin for it's size. Nice piece even damaged.

Last edited:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome! Talk about luck and yep now you need to take a look around the property, especially if you plant a garden there or if there's a creek close by you will probably find more there.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! Those old farm houses and cabins can be interesting. I've got a friend who bought some land and there was a 1930's era log cabin on the land. In between each log embedded in the mortar are arrowheads. This isn't between two logs, it's the entire inside of the cabin. There are way too many points to count and they were all found there on the property. It was interesting to see.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of homes are built in the same places NA sites were lived on. We desire the same building places they did. Nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions