First personal find thread.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Just kind of curious what the first artifact folks in here found.
My first find was this pestle. I suppose most others first was something knapped or grooved.
IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0792.JPG
I am a concrete contractor and while digging out to make room for some city sidewalk I peeled the dirt right off this thing leaving one side of it completely exposed. I just thought it was a cool shaped rock and hauled it home. Wasn't till a couple years later when a friend that knew artifacts told me what it was. It is the piece that drew me into this great hobby.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little worried I had lost this Point. I took it to a show recently and then couldn't find it to take a picture. I finally found it in the bottom of a box I had taken to the show.

This was found over Easter weekend in 1965 when I was 6 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday. My father and I were walking side by side and I had found some Flint and some other odds and ends rocks when I saw this up in front of me. I said, "Dad, Dad, look there's one right there!". This little small Lamoka Point started it all and led to 51 years of the best hobby anyone could ever participate in.

The Point in the first two pictures led to what you see in the last two and that's not even all of it.

Attachments

• 2017-01-02 19.32.57.jpg
    2017-01-02 19.32.57.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 2017-01-02 19.33.08.jpg
    2017-01-02 19.33.08.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Pictures011.jpg
    Pictures011.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Pictures012.jpg
    Pictures012.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one when I was about 10 , dug it up playing around a big tree.. just now getting into really hunting for them though

Attachments

• 1483420157442.jpg
    1483420157442.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 63

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found over Easter weekend in 1965 when I was 6 years old. I remember it like ti was yesterday. My father and I were walking side by side and I had found some Flint and others odds and ends rocks when I saw this up in front of me. I said, "Dad, Dad, looks there's one right there!". This little small Lamoka Point started it all and led to 51 years of the best hobby anyone could ever participate in.

The fact that you found it with your father makes it even more special.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I meant to come back to this thread, and forgot.

My first piece is in the center, my daughter's first piece is next to it (broken paleo point), my son's first is the celt. The other way are points from grandfathers (probably not their first, but found by them when younger.) If the house were on fire, once the kids and wife were safe, I'd probably go in for this frame (or break the window and spray water in the area where this frame resides.)

First.JPG

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
points.jpg
My first find was the large 4inch one at the bottom left of the photo. That was about 16 years ago. Since then I have been back to the same beach and have found many more but none as big as this one. I found the other half of the broken one on the bottom right about a year after finding this one.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 8 and had been surface hunting several times with my Dad without any luck.

Then one day I was heading to my hide out in the woods, and I spotted a small broken point along the trail.

Man was I pumped, couldn't wait to show Dad, and he made a big deal over it. I have had the bug ever since.

He told me years later that he planted it beside my trail......Thanks, Dad.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that you found it with your father makes it even more special.

Thank you. My father is who got me started. He found "arrowheads" when was a kid in these same fields and unfortunately didn't keep any of them. The boys in his neighborhood would find a bunch of Points, Blades, Celts, etc and then take them to an older man and he would buy them all. Anything over 3 inches was a quarter and anything else was a nickel. He said they could make 4 or 5 bucks each every trip out. I wish he would have kept some of what he had found. I have showed him pictures of certain types and he would say, "Oh yeah, we used to find a lot of them". I showed him a Clovis and he said the old guy called them "blood groove" Points. They found several and he would give them a little more for those. lol Of course this was in the 40's so money was more important to poor kids than having a ole Arrowhead laying around the house.

This is my dad hunting with me in 2012 at 78 years old. He didn't find anything good but we had a blast hunting this field. He hunted this as a kid and this may be the last I ever hunt with him. His legs can't take the fields anymore. I am 57 years old and I still stop and show my father my finds to see his approval.

Attachments

• 100_2996.jpg
    100_2996.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 49

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know that it would be considered an artifact, but my first personal find was a big pot that I pulled out of a cave when I was about ten. My dad has it and if your interested I can post a picture of it once I get one.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I don't know that it would be considered an artifact, but my first personal find was a big pot that I pulled out of a cave when I was about ten. My dad has it and if your interested I can post a picture of it once I get one.

I have no official capacity to speak for anyone, but I'm pretty sure we would all love to see a picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions