rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had the whole day off and it was sunny so I decided to walk a creek. I wanted to yak another but the owner just set beaver traps so I went to my usual. I wasnt really looking to find much seeing I hadnt found anything good in a while. I went to a section where a big tree had fallen in January across the creek. The last rain we had caused a big gravel bar to form just below the tree. I was walking and looking and saw something different laying sideways just barley showing nothing but 1 edge. I decided to reach as I have done many times just to throw it away (rocks). As I pulled it from its gravel bed I then saw it was this. Its 4.25 inches long and looks like a Etley or a StilWell. Either way its the biggest flint knife I have ever found. Its my 2016 end of the year last hunt and a really nice find for me.
Happy New Year Everyone! rock

Attachments

• SDC12019.JPG
    SDC12019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • SDC12017.JPG
    SDC12017.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • SDC12021.JPG
    SDC12021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • SDC12023.JPG
    SDC12023.JPG
    940.4 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought it looked like a spike,i think they call them flint river spikes in ga.elk rivers have some really neat thin diagonal flakes on them,but i really do not know.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, Rock!

You found the little point same day?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought it looked like a spike,i think they call them flint river spikes in ga.elk rivers have some really neat thin diagonal flakes on them,but i really do not know.

I will check it does show archaic flaking on the 1 side which is diagonial the other side shows huge percussion flaking which throws me off. It has a stem on it not sure if spikes do. I know that type of flint would be hard to get a real nice point its a chunky type. Im just glad it was whole.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big stemmer Rock! I think you are on the right track in thinking it is related to the Benton Family and the archaic time line. That is a tough one to I.D. but elk river/benton/appalacian would all seem to fit.... maybe the flaking will help you narrow it down? It looks like you will have a good year. Anytime a point that long is found intact its a prize. Water is much kinder than a tractor's disc ,lol.
Happy New Year!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big stemmer Rock! I think you are on the right track in thinking it is related to the Benton Family and the archaic time line. That is a tough one to I.D. but elk river/benton/appalacian would all seem to fit.... maybe the flaking will help you narrow it down? It looks like you will have a good year. Anytime a point that long is found intact its a prize. Water is much kinder than a tractor's disc ,lol.
Happy New Year!
Thanks Im thinking more towards Benton as you have said. I did read they are found in Cashes so I will be hitting that section more often in the future. Thanks for the help. rock

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a update on this one. I sent a pic of it to projectile point site and got a reply he said Pickwick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread