Unidentified relic

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Unidentified relic of some sort. I found this outside the town of Ware, Jefferson County, Missouri about 1980.
My buddy Tom and I were crossing a small creek bed to go from one field into another. I found this in the plowed field next to the creek bed.

I took to a number of geologist when I worked at the USGS and also to geologist at Purdue. None could identify it for sure. I got opinions ranging from a fossilized egg to a concretion. Concretion was discounted due to the layering effect is not seen. Instead a crystallization shell like layer can be seen in the one image which is different than how a concretion would form.

Ideas?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170107_123902.jpg
    20170107_123902.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170107_123909.jpg
    20170107_123909.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea, Looks like some war clubs I've seen. But they were all made out of WOOD though. Honestly I don't know but it is cool. Artifact or Natural if you like it keep it.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Sir - That is a very cool piece. I love the comment that arrow86 gave. I hope that you dont mind a few pic's and a couple questions. Here is a piece that i creek found and have never had a solid answer for it. I would appreciate all comments - Good or Bad. I found it in Kansas. Also, i have lots of artifacts from Jefferson County as well. Would you mind sharing a few pics of yours. Thank you and much respect, Mogi blank1.jpg blank2.jpg blank3.jpg blank4.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st one looks like a fossil of some sort to me. I hope Charl sees this he is good at knowing what something like that is. Im not good at it and probably no help at all just being honest :)

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I will send better pics Grim. Give me just a minute. It was found in a small tributary creek near Kansas City,Kansas. Thank you!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics. I am stumped by that piece, but I don't think it's natural. It looks to have been pecked or ground into that shape. Nice oddity.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pics. I am stumped by that piece, but I don't think it's natural. It looks to have been pecked or ground into that shape. Nice oddity.
Would it be something to keep? And would you possibly consider it an artifact?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be something to keep? And would you possibly consider it an artifact?

By definition alone, if it was altered by man then it is an artifact and yes I would definitely keep it. Even if it turns out to not be an artifact it's just one of those cool stones we find while hunting that we keep. I have a rock garden full of them, as I'm sure most of us do.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
By definition alone, if it was altered by man then it is an artifact and yes I would definitely keep it. Even if it turns out to not be an artifact it's just one of those cool stones we find while hunting that we keep. I have a rock garden full of them, as I'm sure most of us do.

Oh yeah, in the Spring after the snow, we can all send pics of our rock gardens full of unexplainables! Haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions