Ground slate

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pieces are hexagonal ground slate.Although they are not matching pieces.One can get an idea what the piece looked like in its entirety....a ground slate bayonet...late Archaic...and my favorite stuff to find...mjm IMAG1131.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1131.jpg
    IMAG1131.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa. I've never seen anything like that. Awesome....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a neat find. Did you find it?

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a neat find. Did you find it?
Yes rock over the years...like I said these are just random pieces I stuck together so people could get an idea what the finished bayonet looked like...

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is probably one of the better/rarer artifacts I've seen posted on here. I'd love to see some close ups of the blade edge. It sounds odd to think of people spear fishing for swordfish, but it's been a common way to hunt them for thousands of years. Some species come up to shallow top water at night and aren't apparently afraid of boats.

I saw a picture of a complete one found in a dredge, it looked like it was machined it was so perfect. Can you imagine all the non-gold treasures out there in the deep waters where those guys hunted.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The degree of perfection of the workmanship on these bayonets is amazing..The angles and the unflawed straightness of the edges leads me to believe some type of guides were used..I wish I had better pics... IMAG1147.jpg

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out I would be willing to bet this is a first for you all.A piece of banded slate bayonet repurposed into another tool.Notice how the top has been rounded also both edges are roughed up which is not the norm for these slate pieces... IMAG1150.jpg

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice enjoyed the video also, thanks for the look....

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very neat stuff,thanks mainejman

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out I would be willing to bet this is a first for you all.A piece of banded slate bayonet repurposed into another tool.Notice how the top has been rounded also both edges are roughed up which is not the norm for these slate pieces..

That looks a lot like one of the pieces in the video.

Very interesting video, looks like I may have to read that book as it left me wondering about these people. Would like to see more of the artifacts for sure.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out my threads most of the the stuff is in that time frame.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw in the video that the banded slate came from around the great lakes area.I have a full channeled gouge made of banded slate that is seven or eight thousand years old....mjm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread