Members Comments Please ?

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a piece given to me. I received the gift in Missouri, but the giver had no information on the origin. It is hard to see in the pics but it looks like they were trying to achieve a hump in the middle and had begun to work on the larger end to mimic the blade end. All of you long timers please weigh in. It seems while looking at it in your hand to be an unfinished piece. Respectfully, Mogi BS1.jpg BS2.jpg BS3.jpg BS4.jpg BS5.jpg BS6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like more of a celt to me with that polish showing on the one side.

Ideas on the hole quito? And thank you sir!

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the hole on both sides or just one side? It could possibly be a Bannerstone in the process of being shaped and drilled.

OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the hole on both sides or just one side? It could possibly be a Bannerstone in the process of being shaped and drilled.

Grim, that is what i was thinking. It is harder to see in the photo's but it has an almost hump in the middle. But to answer your question bud - No, only on the one side. There is also a spot on the back end that looks like the bannerstone process was being started. I don't know but DEF appreciate your opinion. Respectfully, Mogi

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any chance a fossil fell out of it ,sort of like a Omar?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The hump doesn't appear to be centered with the divot, or start of the hole like it would if it were a bannerstone in the making. Is both sides polished on the beveled end?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Wouldn't it likely be reed drilled if it were an in-progress banner? Also, the divot doesn't look circular and doesn't exhibit the circular lines you'd expect from reed or flint drilling. Cool piece, can't help on the 'what for'.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does seem to taper toward one end, as a celt would, but I don't see a sharp bit? In the first photo here, a celt with pits on both faces. It has been suggested these pits served as aids in hafting. Second photo a full groove axe with a pit on one face. Not really making a comparison, but pointing out some cutting tools do have pits present, for whatever reason. But I do not know what the rock in question represents. If the pit were on the face, and not the side, it might compare to the celt below....

image.jpg image.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does seem to taper toward one end, as a celt would, but I don't see a sharp bit? In the first photo here, a celt with pits on both faces. It has been suggested these pits served as aids in hafting. Second photo a full groove axe with a pit on one face. Not really making a comparison, but pointing out some cutting tools do have pits present, for whatever reason. But I do not know what the rock in question represents. If the pit were on the face, and not the side, it might compare to the celt below....

View attachment 1400769 View attachment 1400770

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I first saw the pictures, but like you, the divot is on the side and not the face.

It definitely looks worked, but not really sure what it is or was going to be.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I guess I'd lean towards bannerstone preform, or perhaps a boatstone preform?

Some of the taller boatstones have a relatively round divot/cup in the center versus the more typical hollowed out cup as seen in some of the more flatter styles.

OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I'd lean towards bannerstone preform, or perhaps a boatstone preform?

Some of the taller boatstones have a relatively round divot/cup in the center versus the more typical hollowed out cup as seen in some of the more flatter styles.

I am thinking bannerstone as well. Is it possible it was a celt and was being refabbed into a bannerstone? My gut tells me they were definitely heading that direction with it. Thank you guys so much for your inputs. I am posting a few more pics of the blade end. If you come up with anything else, please let me know. Respectfully, Mogi z1.jpg z2.jpg z3.jpg z4.jpg z5.jpg

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ends make me think more towards the Bannerstone theory. They wouldn't have squared off and polished the ends like that is they were going to put a blade edge on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread