Senate Bill 3127-S

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this just pertains to illegaly obtained objects, it that right?

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My interpretation is that it has to do with the export of artifacts. That said, I am not a lawyer so I welcome seeing other interpretations as I may be incorrect.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
“(1) in the case of a first violation under this section, be fined under this title, imprisoned for not more than 1 year, or both;"
Yes, what this country needs is more people in prison for non-violent crimes...we already have the highest prison population in the world.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This act stems from the sale of articles considered by the Hopi to be sacred and communal, at auction, in Paris, and over the course of the past several years.

Indianz.Com > Tribes support bill in Senate to stop the export of cultural property

And here are earlier articles describing these auctions. And the results of one, in which many of the articles were purchased with the expressed purpose of returning them to Hopi elders....

Controversy Over the Auction in France of Native American Artifacts - The Atlantic

"In the past, when tribes can’t buy back their own artifacts, other have done it for them. That was the case in 2015 when the Eve auction house––the same one auctioning the shield next week––sold off 27 Katsina headdress, the ones the Hopi people believe hold spirits. The Hopi hired a lawyer and asked the U.S. government to intervene, but were unsuccessful. From their homes in Arizona, some Hopi watched online as one bidder bought nearly every headdress. The anonymous bidder, later revealed to be the Annenberg Foundation, paid $530,695 and bought all but three of the sacred Hopi objects. The foundation eventually returned them to the Hopi. Although he didn’t know it yet, Warshaw, the American collector who bought the headdresses at the Néret-Minet Tessier & Sarrou auction in 2013, would end up doing the same thing.

Just after the auction in 2013, Warshaw told a reporter he didn’t believe the tribe should get them back, because the Hopi only wanted the headdresses now that they "have a value" Warshaw, who collects and sells drawings by renowned masters, didn’t know what he’d do with the two Hopi pieces for which he’d paid $40,000, but he figured he’d donate them to a museum.

Warshaw had traveled to Paris in the midst of a nine-month road trip around the U.S. with his golden retriever, Pastrami. In June 2013, two months after the auction, Warshaw thought he’d drive up to see the Hopi people for himself. By the end of that month, he and Pastrami were high in the plateaued deserts, seated in an old village, watching Hopi ceremonial dancers who all wore the same sacred headdresses he’d bought in Paris.
“I realized,” he told me, “these objects, these headdresses, still lived with them.”

And so he gave them back."

Annenberg Foundation and Hopi Nation Announce Return of Sacred Artifacts to Native American Hopi

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl thanks for info I wasn't aware of any of that but very interesting...... And nice of Warshaw to give them back as well

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a lot of heritage has been stolen around the world, not just native american either...up to the 70's even when these laws first started to take root. the greeks still want their elgin marbles back from london, and papua has lost warehouses of stuff....but a lot of this stuff from around the world would have been lost if not collected....look at what isis has down in syria...criminal.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google the Tunica Treasure , found by a guard at a prison in La. and it was given back to the Tunica -Biloxi tribes and placed in a museum in Marksville La. Most of it was trade goods with some pots, it's a very good read.

OP
OP
C

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Google the Tunica Treasure , found by a guard at a prison in La. and it was given back to the Tunica -Biloxi tribes and placed in a museum in Marksville La. Most of it was trade goods with some pots, it's a very good read.

Thanks for the read!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread