✅ SOLVED Any thoughts on this oddity?

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered if you had any thoughts about this interesting stone. I found it last fall not too far from a historic river on the edge of a washout. To me it looks worked and I had it among my "possible debitage" pile. I was just taking a closer look and even though it is an unusual shape and still has a lot of cortex it seems to have fine sharpening on one of the edges in an area that looks intentionally flaked to me. It occurs to me it would work well as a short cutting implement as the apparent sharpened edge sticks up nicely from the rest of the stone in a way that would be useful. That said, it certainly isn't as nicely made as a lot of the stuff I see posted here. Sorry in advance if I'm posting another geofact. I hope one day to find something really nice to share here. So far the best find I have made in artifact hunting has been the community on this forum. Thanks for looking. :)

PitStone-2016-10-Img_3529CSSS.jpg
PitStone-2016-10-Img_3529SSS.jpg
PitStone-2016-10-Img_3522SSS.jpg
PitStone-2016-10-Img_3525SSS.jpg

Upvote 0

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Could very well of been used as a tool or it could be nature fraction. It is however a piece of oolitic chert which was used to make tools and points. I love to find artifacts made from this chert.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could very well of been used as a tool or it could be nature fraction. It is however a piece of oolitic chert which was used to make tools and points. I love to find artifacts made from this chert.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree it is oolitic chert, I really like the stuff too. I often keep it even when it doesn't look worked. I would consider it the most common knappable material around here. I just went over my 10 probable artifacts from my area; 4 are oolitic chert, 3 are jasper, 2 flint, 1 plain chert. If my first point turns out to be oolitic chert I will be a happy camper. :)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks natural to me but almost like palm wood by the pits in it. Not sure if you have it where you live or not? Could of been something waiting to happen.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree it is oolitic chert, I really like the stuff too. I often keep it even when it doesn't look worked. I would consider it the most common knappable material around here. I just went over my 10 probable artifacts from my area; 4 are oolitic chert, 3 are jasper, 2 flint, 1 plain chert. If my first point turns out to be oolitic chert I will be a happy camper. :)
This chert isn't real common in my area but you see 1 or 2 points in every collection. A buddy of mine found a real gem years ago, a broad stem point it was white with black and grey oolies. I would have bought it from him as i knew where he found it, but no he gave it to a guy for a birthday present and that guy lost it.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks natural to me but almost like palm wood by the pits in it. Not sure if you have it where you live or not? Could of been something waiting to happen.

It does have some resemblance to palm wood. They are similar but I lean toward oolitic chert on this material that I find a lot of. I am not sure if there is palm wood around here. I find the occasional piece petrified wood but it is pretty rare. Thank you for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Sounds like this piece can go with the rest of my chert while I look forward to spring. I am optimistic that my luck will get better this year.

This chert isn't real common in my area but you see 1 or 2 points in every collection. A buddy of mine found a real gem years ago, a broad stem point it was white with black and grey oolies. I would have bought it from him as i knew where he found it, but no he gave it to a guy for a birthday present and that guy lost it.

Wow. That is tragic that they lost such a nice piece of pre-history like that.

I will mark this one solved. Thanks again and happy hunting! :icon_thumright:

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its beautiful! Doesn't look like a natural formation to me, but then again I am very new to all of this and looking for advice myself on my artifacts ( or possible just rocks). Either way, really cool piece to have! Enjoy your treasure hunting!

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its beautiful! Doesn't look like a natural formation to me, but then again I am very new to all of this and looking for advice myself on my artifacts ( or possible just rocks). Either way, really cool piece to have! Enjoy your treasure hunting!

Thanks! I would hate to admit how long I have been searching and not finding much in the way of artifacts. I have a terrible habit though that will hopefully pay off one day. When I cannot find something I just keep looking and looking. Funny thing though is I seem to find agates anywhere I look.

Welcome to the hobby. You have found a great forum to help you with questions. I have learned a lot here but still I have a lot to learn.

Happy hunting and good luck. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions