Great start to 2017

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to dig for three days just got back and wanted to share. I found a Pickwick with my nephew about 50 ft from the swamp.
Wet clay does not go through a sifter well.
Anyway enjoy.
Have video of the pick up but don't know how to upload.
I don't have a youtube account.

pickwick1.JPG pickwick3.JPG pickwick2.JPG pickwicksite.JPG

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds .... So what made you pick that spot ? Did you find stuff in the first pit you dug or is it more of a numbers game with the more dirt you sift the better your chances? I have a spot I am going to try soon I find points and tools on the beach I tried digging down on the beach itself but after the first 6 inches of sand it's hard clay and I agree very difficult to sift or even break apart in the sifter using small shovel. Just trying to determine where the best spot would be to dig.

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds .... So what made you pick that spot ? Did you find stuff in the first pit you dug or is it more of a numbers game with the more dirt you sift the better your chances? I have a spot I am going to try soon I find points and tools on the beach I tried digging down on the beach itself but after the first 6 inches of sand it's hard clay and I agree very difficult to sift or even break apart in the sifter using small shovel. Just trying to determine where the best spot would be to dig.

I have been digging across the swamp/river on the other side for over a year. I mainly look for a flat spot about about 15 feet above the water so it does not flood in the rain. Of course this is fresh water so they would be long term camps. You may be finding things that have washed in the ocean from a fresh water river. Is the river close to where you are finding tools?
If so I would look up river for a bluff over the river.

I have never done any digging at the beach so I probably don't have the expertise to advise in what works there.

I just do a test dig about 2 shovels wide about 18 inches deep. I am looking for flakes or pottery. I did about 4 test holes before I started digging and sifting this site. I found about 3 or 4 flakes so I started digging.

This site is about an hour inland from the ocean. It is about a foot of black dirt where we find woodland points. Then there is about 2 to 3 feet of sand where we find stuff from 3000 to 10000 BP then we hit the clay pan at this boundary we find Kirks. It gets to hard to dig deep in the clay. That is probably why I don't have any paleo stuff.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Ma'am,
The pottery haul was not as good on this one but the pieces there are very thick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread