Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I found this interesting arrowhead-looking rock and I was wondering if it's legit. It looks like it's been knapped. I'm not sure what type of rock it is. It is flatter on one side, and has a sharp edge (bottom, in pics). It is 2" in length. I live in Southern Ontario, about an hour north of Lake Erie. It was found on a steep hill by a small creek, would have made a good hunting spot.

I tried to draw a head-on view of the shape, with the point being where the thin lines meet.

Type of rock? Age? Purpose?

Thanks!

DSCF7186.JPG DSCF7187.JPG point.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Grim, I appreciate the input! Anyone else got any ideas? I'm curious about the rock type, age (I don't know much about this kind of stuff or how dateable it is), and what it may have been used for. Thanks again!

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim would know better than I, but looks like a knife or a scraper to me. Cool find!

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I would call a scraper.....kind of a catch all term for me. :)

But that is a neat find for sure!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! It's still got some pretty sharp spots, especially the very tip. This is my first ever Native artifact and I found it by chance so I'm still in a sort of disbelief about it, wanting to know more!

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! It's still got some pretty sharp spots, especially the very tip. This is my first ever Native artifact and I found it by chance so I'm still in a sort of disbelief about it, wanting to know more!

I know how you feel. Unfortunately finding "more about it" is elusive...and so starts an obsession of sorts.

I found this scraper/knife a couple years back and it got me hooked. Since then I've found a couple points etc...but this one got me walking for miles! lol

P1000876.JPG

oh and this one just killed me obsidian.jpg

If you found one in a certain area, keep going back, there is more!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ones!

I'll definitely be walking with my head down when I'm crossing the fields, that's for sure!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I found this interesting arrowhead-looking rock while bottle digging and I was wondering if it's legit. It looks like it's been knapped. I'm not sure what type of rock it is. It is flatter on one side, and has a sharp edge (bottom, in pics). It is 2" in length. I live in Southern Ontario, about an hour north of Lake Erie. It was found on a steep hill by a small creek, would have made a good hunting spot.

I tried to draw a head-on view of the shape, with the point being where the thin lines meet.

Type of rock? Age? Purpose?

Thanks!

View attachment 1403298 View attachment 1403299 View attachment 1403307
It's flint/chert. Looks like it was an unfinished piece to me, and I say that because of how crude is.
It may also just have been tilled so much in a garden or field that it has those cut marks on it from that.
Hard to say sometimes from pictures.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, BagLady! The soil where it was found is mostly clay and contains very few, if any, stones, so this definitely caught my eye. And I imagine the place was never tilled, it would be a very tricky spot.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much chase2! This actually makes a lot of sense geographically.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point end might of been hafted into a handle and the wide end used for cutting. Nice color

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's flint/chert. Looks like it was an unfinished piece to me, and I say that because of how crude is.
It may also just have been tilled so much in a garden or field that it has those cut marks on it from that.
Hard to say sometimes from pictures.
Sometimes if material was plentyful they would work a piece and if not suitable throw it away and start another. They could churn out many in a short time. It also could have been quickly made to serve a quick purpose and discarded. I do not see any fire pop on it. What ever its purpose it is a piece of ancint times. Good save.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the information, everyone, I didn't expect so many helpful responses! I can feel myself being drawn to the excitement of arrowheads and similar artifacts, very interesting stuff. This is my first, and it was certainly a powerful feeling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions