Alaska Jade Adze 300+ years old.

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found a while back on our property in the interior of Alaska. Jade Adze possibly from Jade mountain. Fully intact and weights around 5lb. It takes many years to make this tool. The marks on it reveals that it was tied as a axe and used as hand tool. Grandfather said they made them by tying it to a stick across a stream. The bottom of the stream forms and smoothens the jade as it rubs back and forth. Around 5 years or so he said. May have been traded or lost during the trade between Athlabaskan and Eskimo. The stories from my grandfathers said that obsidian was brought from Indian mountain and made into arrows in front of our village. Some showed me pieces they found in there garden or near the river. Erosion destroyed our river banks taking many building and houses over the years. Before he passed on he pointed at the river about 300 feet is where he believes they made obsidian and jade tools before the village was discovered in late 1800's. Many villages exists this day that has not been found. I found two so far from beginning of 1800's by there stories. Should be another 5 more to locate and mark. Anyway I have his voice on tape and many others. Might be book in the future. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible but to far back for anyone to remember anything about jade adze. A lot of obsidian so it is rare to find a jade object on our land. It could have been traded.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking Jade was/is popular in Asia? But I could be wrong.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg . A friend found this digging out his basement. Jade ulu, chisel and I believe carving tools. These are around the same era.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,joshauream will be very helpful for you i think,i think he said jade was in alaska,very nice to hear from you too.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a treat! I love your post, the beautiful jade adze, the story of your grandfather and I can't wait to read the book! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts!

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gads!!!!! I was trying to give your post the excellent 5 star rating and somehow hit the one star instead! It wouldn't let me change it so I have sent a message for help fixing it. For the record I give your post 5 stars - I really enjoyed reading it! I'm so sorry for the mix up :(

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the compliments. I am sure he is happy I'm passing on his stories. Even though I will never make noise like he did. I am proud to be one of his grand sons.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg
Possible date for the jade adze. 350-650 AD. Very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread