Ordinary Rock?

agatequeen

Jan 18, 2017
Paradise California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock close to a very large bolder with 4 mortar holes. Need someones expert knowledge. Thanks for your time.

IMG_4329.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4332.JPG

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it may have been a nutting stone,with those dimples

OP
OP
A

agatequeen

Jan 18, 2017
Paradise California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about nutting stones but the biggest dimple measures 3/4 inch deep and 3 1/2 inches wide. It is rough inside the dimple so what do you think?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would be a hard one to prove,maybe you could get lucky and see some remnants of shells under a microscope.i have seen some natural rocks that just looked like a rock,come out of mound dug by an archy that had dimples in it,it was found to be a paint pot,they took advantage of natural rocks so if it was found with something that was easy too tell that they used it,it could be an artifact.the shell of a nut would not do much too the rock,if they missed a few times though that might show.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
My best guess is it is a completely natural depression. See the other little divot in there too?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tend to agree with quito, it looks like a silica based rock like sand stone, if it is, then water and wind can make depressions like that very easily. I'm no expert, but it seems like sand stone would not be a good material for use as a nutting stone.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best guess is it is a completely natural depression. See the other little divot in there too?

Natural, if the divots were used for grinding the small brown inclusions that are raised above the host stone would not be there they would be ground smooth from use and not raised. I agree with quito and I thought you should have a valid reason why.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread