Banded slate

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found e few artifacts made of banded slate here in Maine.One was a piece of slate bayonet and at another site a full channeled gouge.Archaeologist Bruce Bourque has stated he believed the source to be around the great lakes..I have other non banded slate that is believed to have originated here in Maine...My question is does anybody else have any banded slate from the great lakes area...thanks...mjm

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have found e few artifacts made of banded slate here in Maine.One was a piece of slate bayonet and at another site a full channeled gouge.Archaeologist Bruce Bourque has stated he believed the source to be around the great lakes..I have other non banded slate that is believed to have originated here in Maine...My question is does anybody else have any banded slate from the great lakes area...thanks...mjm

Charl, I been wondering the distribution of this material myself lately. A few years ago I picked up a piece of it here in SE South Dakota while artifact hunting.

It wasn't an artifact or very big so it just hung around for a few years until it was recently put into our new rock tumbler. Anyway, while I am not great lakes region it has been found here.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Banded slate is thought to have been gouged out of the earth somewhere in the great lakes area, and carried by glaciers down to be deposited south of the great lakes. It's pretty easy to find decent chunks in Northern Indiana & Northern Ohio, especially in areas where there is a lot of glacial till (rocks deposited by the glaciers.) It's soft, so it got chewed up pretty quickly and pieces get smaller the further south you go.

There are some quarries in Michigan with a type of banded slate, but it's not quite the same as the stuff the ancient people use.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This is the piece I found here and polished.

IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0837.JPG

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a few from central Ohio
!cid__IMG01086-20110416-1203.jpg !cid__IMG01024-20110407-1010.jpg !cid__IMG01182-20110517-1121.jpg !cid__IMG01011-20110329-1333.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread