• DSC05543.JPG
    DSC05543.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! The Guilford People are a bit of a mystery to me. I think little is known about them other than the fact their tools & points are generally easier to identify than most due to their quick,basic construction & lancet shaped design correct? Road Dog if you have any knowledge to share please do so. Are Guilfords only found in NC?

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks, Guilfords ( Yuma, Round and Staight Base) I think are associated mostly with North Carolina. Probably named for Guilford County.They have been found all over the Mid-Atlantic area though. Most points are pretty crude made with direct percussion flaking. I have found some really nice ones over the years though so it's not always the case. Guilford Culture had the Guilford Axes with the big lateral side notches. I have found Guilford hafted knives as well. They seem to have utilized all stone materials. Where I have found Guilfords I usually have found Stanley and Morrow Mountain points. Not sure if there is any connection between them or not. They are found above Stanley and Morrow Mountains Complexes and date 5-6 thousand years old

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! The Guilford People are a bit of a mystery to me. I think little is known about them other than the fact their tools & points are generally easier to identify than most due to their quick,basic construction & lancet shaped design correct? Road Dog if you have any knowledge to share please do so. Are Guilfords only found in NC?

They have been found in my area of N GA I have found 1 or 2 myself and MM to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread