First relic find for 2017

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I hesitated to post due to some of the abrasive post I have been reading.

Questions asked that are not ever answered concerning authenticators and sellers of questionable artifacts.

Anyway, I got out Feb 5th and had a decent day. Found many broken relics. Found two axes and a nice dovetail.

Within ten minutes of entering the field I spied the first ax, a three quarter grove ax 4 7/8 inches in length.

Found the dovetail about an hour later. Made of coshocton flint, nicely beveled and 95% complete, with only a small ding. At 2.5 inches its very nice.

Found the next ax about 20 minutes later, spied it a ways off. I nice full grove 4 /18 in length.

Found a number of very nice thumb scrapers in this field over the years. Found two this day.

It was not a bad day.

Interestingly enough, I often will find two hardstone relics the same day. Two axes, or an ax and a pestle, or an ax and a celt, or a celt and a pestle. Has happened many, many times over the last number of years.

I have video but not posting that. Only the photos.

Attachments

• full_groove_first_spotted.jpg
    full_groove_first_spotted.jpg
    888.4 KB · Views: 135
  • full_groove_buried.jpg
    full_groove_buried.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 131
  • full_groove_1.jpg
    full_groove_1.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 120
  • dove_buried.jpg
    dove_buried.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 198
  • dove.jpg
    dove.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • 20170210_074423.jpg
    20170210_074423.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 120
  • three_quart_ax_buried.jpg
    three_quart_ax_buried.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 124
  • three_quart_ax.jpg
    three_quart_ax.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking pieces. Sure is a nice looking point. How nice to have such a great place to hunt. I would do cartwheels if I found an axe! Congratulations. The field looks so flat , is there water nearby?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. There are folks around who play the game "what I have is gold and what you have is garbage". Been going on forever, especially if they want your item. Anybody can post anything and a lot of social media is prime garbage! ANYBODY can print a COA, and even experts can be fooled. Once a long time ago I dug an ash pit in a Revolutionary War camp. Dug two perfect "USA" buttons out of it. 3' underground. Ran out of money and went to sell them and most of the dealers at this one show told me they were fakes. Of course there was one person who knew better and I got a fortune for them. At least a fortune back then.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The creek is just about 10 feet from the fields edge. The wood line you see in the ax photo is not the creek side, but a fence row between fields.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! :icon_thumleft: I don't believe that point is a ''Dove Tail''. Looks like that field is pretty muddy?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds,i can tell who is real,and who is trying to deceive.i think your good.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure your local archeologist would love to do some digging in that field. Those are some really nice finds.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds .... You have any pics of the second axe cleaned up ? Is it polished ? Nice point to I would say you had a great start to the year

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Was not a bad day? Good lord man, I'd hate to see a good day? Really nice finds. Congrats. I've never had much luck finding hard stone. Glad to see someone is finding it.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure your local archeologist would love to do some digging in that field. Those are some really nice finds.

Better yet, get permission (to dig) from the landowner and dig it yourself. Or get the archs involved and potentially lose access to a good site. If you start encountering burials, of course you need to get the right authorities involved. And if you find something ridiculous that hasn't already been researched ad nauseam, sure you'd want to call them in, but other than one of those scenarios, keep it to yourself.

Great finds and ain't no telling what's below the plow line. Good luck and thanks for sharing the goodies with us.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Really cool finds.

Not to be dismissive of another members post, but be very careful with digging for artifacts in Indiana, my home state has some the strictest limitations in the US. Surface collecting is perfectly legal, but digging for relics on private land (even if you own the land) is illegal if you don't have a permit and follow an approved plan.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/hp_archaeolaw.pdf

Better yet, get permission (to dig) from the landowner and dig it yourself. Or get the archs involved and potentially lose access to a good site. If you start encountering burials, of course you need to get the right authorities involved. And if you find something ridiculous that hasn't already been researched ad nauseam, sure you'd want to call them in, but other than one of those scenarios, keep it to yourself.

Great finds and ain't no telling what's below the plow line. Good luck and thanks for sharing the goodies with us.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks muddy I bet your legs were tired after walking through that stuff. Soy bean before the plow? Nice finds of course it looked to be a good day with 2 axes and a very nice point.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
It's is a dove.
Snyders will have an elliptical cross section, where this dove has a rhomboid from the sharpening. The base is well ground. You can make out the beveling in the photo of my hand holding the point. I have found both snyders and dove points in this area, not normal in the same locations though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread