Isaac Church Snyders

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
November 27th 2011 I was contacted by Lisa Manis about a relic she owned and if I would be interested in purchasing the relic. The photos attached to the email where of a Snyders point and looked like it was in very good shape.

I met Lisa on December 3 2011 and purchased the Snyders from her for a small token fee. She wanted someone to have it who would appreciate it, and wanted to give it to me for free. Her tale of how she came into possession of the relic is:

"Isaac Church, My Great-Grandfather was a well known farmer and water witch in Fayette County Indiana. Water being scarce in his time, his services were in high demand. He traveled all over the surrounding counties helping farmers and families find water on their land. He never charged for his services, but I was told that the lowest he ever received was a cigar and the highest was 10 dollars. He found water, one time, for a farmer who lived outside of Connersville Indiana. While that farmer was digging the well to get to that water, he found the arrowhead. After he did indeed reach the water my Great- Grandfather found for him, he was so grateful he wanted to give my Great- Grandfather payment of some kind, so he offered him the arrowhead. Which my Grandfather accepted.

That arrowhead has been in my family since found, in the late 1800's. It's always been tucked away somewhere all this time. When I received it from my Mothers estate, I knew it should be in the hands of someone who could appreciate it for what it is, a piece of history."

Written on one side of the relic is: "found 1898 by Harry D"

The Snyders are an early to mid-Hopewellian point type and date in the first half of the Middle Woodland stage, commonly dated between 200 B.C. and 50 A.D.

The Snyders type is a medium to large sized, ovate, corner notched, expanding stemmed, wide, thin, large bifaces display very high length to width ratios which was carefully made and is usually of high quality workmanship. The corner notches are wide, expanding, and deeply cut at a diagonal and are usually well-rounded. The notches result in the formation of broad, bold and flaring barbs when in the new, unreworked condition. The shoulders project downward. The stem is expanding, having a convex basal edge and concave side edges and appears to be short in relation to the overall length of the point.

REFERENCES: C. Murphy, 1988 Snyders Points. KEWA 88-3. Bell, 1958, pp. 88-89. Ritchie, 1961, p. 49, 105. Waldorf, 1987, p. 189. Justice, 1995, pp. 201-204. Overstreet, 2003, pp. 929-931.

Attachments

• issac_church_snyders.jpg
    issac_church_snyders.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 84
  • issac_church_snyders.png
    issac_church_snyders.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer point, keep that story with it for future generations.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool point and awesome story!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An heirloom that will be passed down for generations. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Sweet!!!!They sure did make those with broad bases.

Another amazing, actual artifact with provenance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions