Rare Find

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's rare for my neck of the woods anyway, it may be more common in other areas. This is a pic of part of the daub from the wattle and daub construction of an Native American home. Its just fired clay and doesn't look like much to the untrained eye. Most people wouldn't have even kept it. It's a prize for me because in thousands of miles of walking, it's the only piece I've ever found.

Attachments

• Daube.jpg
    Daube.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found it too, here in Arkansas. If you find some you have found where the house sites are...d2

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a piece I picked up in Lee County Georgia near the Kinchafoonee Creek. Your right about it not being a common find but, when you do find it there are normally more pieces laying somewhat close by meaning your on a homesite. Unlike pottery, it was never fired so it doesn't do well normally in the ground and a lot of hunters will walk right past it. This one shows where it was pressed into place against the supporting sticks of the structure. This is about the largest piece I've seen or found.

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_103824.jpg
    IMG_20170217_103824.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 147

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what the huts and lodges looked like in this area. Sticks with support beams with a coat of clay and mud pressed on, then a grass roof. Some lasted a long time and were very large. Natchez lodge.png

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a piece I picked up in Lee County Georgia near the Kinchafoonee Creek. Your right about it not being a common find but, when you do find it there are normally more pieces laying somewhat close by meaning your on a homesite. Unlike pottery, it was never fired so it doesn't do well normally in the ground and a lot of hunters will walk right past it. This one shows where it was pressed into place against the supporting sticks of the structure. This is about the largest piece I've seen or found.
That's a much better example than mine. Nice find. I think in my case, the house was burned and perhaps that fired the clay and gave it some longevity.

As for more pics, I'm not even sure where it is located. I'd have to go thru a lot of stuff to find it and the pic GaRebel posted is better than what I could post.

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
well heck..I wonder if that is similar to what I've been finding in GA Creeks that I started my thread on a few days ago. Take a look at that thread and see if they are similar!

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well heck..I wonder if that is similar to what I've been finding in GA Creeks that I started my thread on a few days ago. Take a look at that thread and see if they are similar!
What you are finding in the creek is not the same. I'm not sure what those are but if I were to put a date on them, I'd date them well after colonization.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_5014.JPG 100_5015.JPG Here is a piece I found, you can see it was up against some flat pieces.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats pretty cool,thanks for the education guys.

Sep 18, 2011
Here is a smaller example.....I too believe these are quite rare. Note the small imprint of the grass blade....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg